Bose In-Ear Headphones
- Sensationally powerful bass, comfortable to wear, good overall sound quality
- Plastic tips easily lost, no noise canceling
The Bose in-ear headphones won't be for everyone, but if you feel like your current earbuds or IEMs are lacking a little in the bass department, then they may be right up your alley.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
Bose's latest effort in the portable headphone space is a departure from their preferred over-the-head style. The Bose in-ear headphones are, as you might expect, somewhat similar to IEMs (In Ear Monitors) in that they rest in the ear canal. While not sliding in as deeply as full IEMs they offer quite good audio quality with exceptionally powerful bass. Our only complaints are that they don't really get any sort of seal with the eardrum, which lets in more external noise than we'd like, and that the plastic sleeve is easily lost.
Make no mistake; these are probably the most bass heavy headphones of this type on the market right now. We were absolutely amazed with the power and strength of the bass the Bose in-ear headphones created, despite the fact that they don't achieve a seal with the ear canal. Generally with IEMs, if you don't get a good seal when inserting them, music sounds quite flat with thin bass and tinny highs. However, the Bose had no such problems. To test exactly how strong the bass was, we pushed them further into the canal, creating an artificial seal, but we didn't last long under the barrage of thundering lower register notes.
The bass-heavy sound won't appeal to everybody, but it sounds great with certain styles of music, including dance, hip-hop and electronica. When playing other styles of music, the quality of the bass is more important than the quantity, and in this area these headphones don't shine as much. It was a little bloated for our tastes, but had a reasonable amount of detail and should satisfy many listeners.
The other elements of the music were not as prominent, but still quite good. The mid range was reasonably detailed, although it lacked the richness of some other models. The treble was a little rolled off and somewhat overshadowed by the bass, but it had a smooth texture that suited the overall sound quite well. There was also a good separation between instruments, as well as a reasonably deep but not outstanding soundstage.
As they don't really seal properly with the ear canal, the Bose headphones are extremely comfortable, without the suction effect you often feel with deeper IEMs. We found they were great even for extremely long listening sessions. They small bud comes with a clear rubber sleeve that nestles on the tip and rests just outside the entrance to your ear canal. Three different sized sleeves are available, so different ear shapes are catered for and they are very easy to insert and remove. Our only complaint, and admittedly this is a relatively big issue, the sleeves were very easy to lose. In the course of a few days testing we managed to lose two separate sleeves, despite being very careful, and since you only receive one of each size in the box you'll find yourself quickly burning through them.
The lack of a proper seal also means that external noise does enter fairly easily and this may bother some. We didn't notice it being a huge problem, but do note that despite the name containing the phrase "in-ear" these headphones don't have any real noise canceling properties above what you'd expect from a pair of regular earbuds.
The other funky thing about the Bose headphones is their design. Following the typical Bose style of a classy, sleek design, the black headphone bodies with the clear plastic tip look great and should satisfy those after both a pair of headphones and a fashion item.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Jaybird go true wireless with new RUN earbuds
- HyperX Reveals Next Generation Cloud Alpha Gaming Headset
- Jabra upgrade their Elite Sport wireless earbuds
- Everything Samsung Just Announced At IFA 2017
- Apple's AirPods could deliver audio with multiple wireless protocols
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- First Look: Nikon D850
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTSenior Integration Developer - Cloud focusOther
- TPCyber Security Business AnalystACT
- FTUI Developer / Front-End DevloperQLD
- CCLevel 2-3 Desktop SupportWA
- CCService Management SpecialistNSW
- FTSoftware DeveloperACT
- FTDatabase AnalystOther
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTOracle DeveloperVIC
- FTIT Asset Management AnalystOther
- FTInfrastructure/ Hybrid Cloud Architect - Government OrganisationVIC
- CCBusiness / Systems AnalystNSW
- FTAEM DeveloperOther
- FTNetwork Infrastructure Development EngineerNSW
- CCTransformation/ Organisational Change ManagerNSW
- FTSecurity ConsultantOther
- FTLevel 3 Application Support EngineerQLD
- FTDigital Business AnalystACT
- FTRelease Manager- IT SAP ERP/EAM environmentsOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst (Loyalty Program)Other
- TPAgile Business AnalystVIC
- FTIntegration Manager - (Oracle Fusion Middle ware)ACT
- CCAWS DevOps Engineer - BrisbaneQLD
- FTCRM DeveloperACT