Bose Computer MusicMonitor
- Exceptional sound quality, attractive design, easy to set-up
- Minor bass loss in far low end of the register
The Bose Computer MusicMonitors are easily the best PC speakers we have reviewed. Considering their lack of a sub-woofer, the speakers produce vibrant rich sound and are a pleasure to use.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
When it comes to high quality audio, Bose certainly know what they are doing. The Bose Computer MusicMonitors are a compact speaker system designed to give high fidelity sound without the need for a separate sub-woofer. For the most part, they deliver quite convincingly with bass that is quite impressive for a two-speaker setup.
We tested the speakers with a wide range of music. Whether it was orchestral, a piano concerto, jazz, hip-hop or pop music, the speakers delivered excellent crisp sound. The only downfall was in the bass where the lowest frequencies tended to be a little truncated. In order to create this low frequency rumble, a subwoofer is usually used as it can manipulate the large quantities of air required. In a small speaker system it is very hard to create a broad range of bass due to the confined space.
The MusicMonitors produce far more bass than you would expect from something of their size and an even more impressive amount of treble. Their strengths far outweigh their weaknesses and, in fact, we would consider these the best PC speakers we have reviewed to date.
Using a performance of the Prelude in C Minor by Rachmaninov we were impressed by the clarity of each note. In this example, bass was not an issue at all. The lowest notes were delivered with clarity and the interjecting high notes pierced the bass with precision. Out of all the different types of music we used on these speakers, all the piano pieces were easily the most incredible.
In orchestral pieces, the violins always tended to pull more focus than a French Horn or the building rumble of the timpani. In the upper registers, the audio is sublime with every instrument clearly heard and their position in the soundstage well understood by the listener.
Across most types of modern music the speakers performed beautifully. It was in bass-heavy genres like hip-hop and R&B that any weakness was evident. Human voices were accurately reproduced with vivid detail. No matter what song we used, the voices were always clearly separated and easily distinguished. Minute details like breaths could also be heard without being lost in the instruments being played.
We also tested using films and video games and found that both performed exceptionally for a two-speaker setup. The only complaint once again falls on the bass levels, but considering the strengths of the system, its minor limitations can easily be forgiven.
The Bose Computer MusicMonitors are easy to set-up, small in stature and attractive in design. In the end, they are the best PC speakers we have reviewed to date and are only hampered by their bass limitations and price. At such a high price we expected a little more but after listening to our favourite piano performances with such high fidelity, we can't complain too much.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- What the Radeon Vega Frontier Edition's specs and pricing mean for PC gamers
- AMD Threadripper exclusive: Only Alienware's Area-51 will have it in 2017
- Intel's revealed the Core i9 ship dates, but you won't like them
- Hands-on: Creative Labs' Sound BlasterX AE-5 ups the audio for gamers
- Logitech's Powerplay mousepad wirelessly charges your mouse while you use it
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTPractice Director Design – Adelaide Delivery CentreSA
- FTCommercial Analyst (IT Contracts)Other
- FTChange AnalystOther
- TPWeb DeveloperSA
- FTSAP Fiori Java Script DevelopersACT
- FTApplication Tester & Quality Assurance AnalystOther
- FTAssurance specialist(Quality Assurance and Process Improvement)ACT
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperOther
- FTConsultant Business AnalystQLD
- FTPayroll Project ManagerOther
- CCSecurity Incident Analyst - Splunk - TelcoVIC
- FTProject Manager or Coordinator - Retail Store ProjectsOther
- TPTest ManagerNSW
- CCData AnalystVIC
- CCManual and Automation TesterQLD
- FT.NET Full Stack DeveloperOther
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- TPDigital Business Analyst | Six Month Contract |Immediate StartQLD
- TPBI DeveloperNSW
- FTContract ManagerACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTProgram CoordinatorOther
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- CCMultiple Front End Developers | React.js | Angular.js | Node.js | Knockout |QLD