Bonzai3d presents a serious challenge to Google Sketchup Pro. Slightly cheaper, it also scores points by offering NURBS modelling and its own sizeable library of content and textures
- Fast object creation, good range of modelling tools including NURBS, varied viewport rendering modes
- Intel Mac and OS X 10.5 only, pricey for lower end of 3D market, no full instancing support
Bonzai3d presents a serious challenge to Google Sketchup Pro. Slightly cheaper, it also scores points by offering NURBS modelling and its own sizeable library of content and textures, in addition to supporting Google 3D content. However Bonzai3d only runs on Leopard on an Intel Mac, unlike Sketchup Pro, which also supports Tiger.
Price$ 776.00 (AUD)
AutoDesSys’ Bonzai3d is a brand-new 3D sketching tool aimed at two camps: illustrators and digital artists who want to mock up scenes in 3D to create accurate-looking arrangements and perspectives for compositions, and 3D artists who want to quickly rough out scenes for clients to sign off on before beginning modelling in earnest.
Bonzai3d has inherited some of the functionality of its developer’s form•Z industrial design software, but it has its own identity.
Like Google Sketchup Pro, it offers support for Google 3D Warehouse, but ships with its own content library of trees, furniture, doors, and windows, which can be reused as symbols. It also has sketching tools. As you might expect, these are a mix between the ‘pick up and draw’ Sketchup variety and traditional primitive creation and manipulation tools found in most 3D packages – although there’s a cartoonish look to the Modelling tool palette that you don’t get in most 3D programs.
Each row in the palette contains a suite of related tools, which pops open when the cursor is positioned over the icon. Hovering over each tool or menu item brings up a description, and when the tool is clicked an Options palette appears. This can adjust settings for the tool before or after objects are created.
The sketch-like feel extends to Doodle, a rendering plug-in that gives the model in the viewport a pencil-drawn look at the click of a button. There are a number of other shading modes, including OpenGL-driven full shading with shadows. Object snapping is enabled, so it’s easy to align a brick texture exactly to a wall and to orient the brick direction horizontally, for example.
Bonzai3d offers a number of tools for the creation of NURBS curves and surfaces – features still lacking in Sketchup. There’s also the 2D Derivative tool, which can create a new face, line or edge derived from the surfaces of other objects. A 3D derivative tool begins by working in a similar fashion to Sketchup’s main extruding tool, but then adds options that allow for highly precise fine-tuning.
You can derive 2D and 3D walls in a similar fashion, while terrain models can be generated from a set of contour lines and a closed shape that represents the boundary of a site. Real time Boolean operations are also available when reshaping objects and faces. You can choose to save models in bonzai3d format or as form•z models, and most common 3D formats are supported for import and export.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 3 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 5 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
Latest News Articles
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
- Google Assistant branches out, supporting third-party hardware and smarter features
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTSystem Support Analyst, ERPNSW
- CCState-wide Business Transition Lead - BrisbaneNSW
- CCGIS Consultant/ Developer - BRISBANEVIC
- FTSenior DBANSW
- FTField Technician - Radio communication serviceACT
- CCInfrastructure Test ManagerNSW
- FTTest Engineer | $92 p/hrVIC
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTSnr Technical Salesforce Consultant Global IT Managed Services - SydneyNSW
- FTManual TesterACT
- FTSales Client Services Manager (Mid-market)QLD
- FTAppian DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Systems EngineerQLD
- FTLevel 3 Service Desk Support Engineer / Project ManagerQLD
- FTIT Support / Desktop SupportSA
- TPAV Design Specialist - Newcastle BasedNSW
- CCXML DeveloperVIC
- FTiOS DeveloperNSW
- FTProject CoordinatorVIC
- FTCustomer Service OperatorVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectSA
- TPInstructional DesignerVIC
- FTStorage EngineerSA
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW