World's slimmest Bluetooth headset
- Metal design, size and weight, excellent outgoing audio
- Buttons are tiny and difficult to press, incoming audio distorted, small microphone susceptible to noise from wind
The Bluetrek Metal is a stunning piece of industrial design that is unfortunately let down by poor incoming audio. It scores points for its fantastic design, but needs to improve in quality to compete with the rest of the market.
Price$ 69.00 (AUD)
Claimed to be the world's slimmest Bluetooth headset, the Bluetrek Metal is quite simply a stunning piece of industrial design. Although it’s without doubt one of the most stylish headsets we’ve reviewed, questionable incoming audio may turn many potential users elsewhere.
The Bluetrek Metal is light, compact and elegant. Available in silver and black finishes, the headset is constructed almost entirely of metal (hence its name). Bluetrek claims the material won't lose its finish. It is just 4mm thick and weighs only 5.5g but it feels surprisingly sturdy and well built.
Operation of the Metal is simple, with just three buttons on the unit. Unfortunately, the small size of the Metal doesn’t help in this regard; the talk and volume up and volume down buttons are incredibly small, and therefore best pressed with the edge of your fingernail. Even the smallest of fingers will find the buttons difficult to press accurately. Thankfully, the in-ear style means the headset is comfortable to use even for long periods. Bluetrek includes six different-sized ear buds in order to provide the best fit possible.
Pairing the Metal with your mobile phone is as simple as pressing the talk button for seven seconds. A tiny LED on the back of the unit will denote pairing mode by quickly cycling between short blue and red flashes. Search for the Metal in the Bluetooth menu of your phone, enter the default passcode (0000) and pairing is complete.
Performance is a mixed bag. Our callers had little complaint with outgoing audio, with our voice projecting through the microphone loud and clear. Unfortunately, incoming audio through the tiny speaker is a hit and miss affair. It fluctuated regularly, from passable to distorted. Depending on background noise, it can be difficult to hold a conversation, especially if there is any wind. The tiny microphone is affected by even the slightest wind.
The Metal has a flexible USB charger and adapter. Plugging into any standard USB port, the charger allows the base end of the Metal to slide into a special slot for recharging. A USB car charger is also included. There is no AC adapter in the sales package, although Bluetrek is generous with included accessories, offering a plastic belt clip and two ear hooks.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Toys for Boys
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Bose SoundLink Micro
Google Daydream View VR Headset
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Xbox One X
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sony Commences Android 8.0 Oreo Rollout in New Zealand Starting With Flagship Xperia XZ Premium Smartphone Device
- Qualcomm adds security, battery life features to phone chips
- Cygnett’s new wireless charging range has arrived
- Belkin Introduces USB-C 3.1 Express Dock HD
- Porsche Design Huawei Mate 10 Will Come To Australia
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCCommunication and Change ManagerNSW
- CCNetwork Data EngineerWA
- FTDrupal DeveloperACT
- CCWintel Team LeadWA
- FTScrum MasterOther
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerOther
- FTSERVICE DESK - ENTRY LEVELSA
- FTSenior Network ArchitectVIC
- CCJunior to Mid Level Tester - BankingQLD
- CCSCCM Deployment TechnicianACT
- CCWeb Applications Project ManagerACT
- FTICT Business AnalystACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Wealth & AgileOther
- FTMid-level Drupal Developer - BrisbaneSA
- FTDesktop EngineerOther
- TPData AnalystVIC
- CCLinux Infrastructure Engineer - Telco industryVIC
- CCDesktop Support EngineerNSW
- FTMS Dynamics CRM DeveloperACT
- CCJava Developer - BrisbaneWA
- FTInfrastructure Design Engineer, DC Power, CommunicationsOther
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- FTLevel 2 Desktop Support EngineerOther
- FTJava DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW