June is the month to get your business organised. Enter today.
BitDefender Total Security 2009
- Flexible online backup, File Vault, IM encryption for Yahoo and MSN Messenger, central management of BitDefender installed on home network PCs, games mode, improved scanning speeds
- Detection rates haven't improved
BitDefender Total Security 2009 offers good but not state-of-the-art protection, which is a pity as the product boasts a raft of neat features that make a small but noticeable difference.
Price$ 87.44 (AUD)
'Total Security' is a bold claim, so BitDefender Total Security 2009 has a lot to live up to — and, by and large, it does.
So what's new in this year's BitDefender? On top of the usual improved anti-malware/firewall, anti-phishing, ID protection and parental controls BitDefender Total Security 2009 includes such goodies as flexible online backup, 2GB's worth, with support for incremental or differential backups, a secure storage space, aka File Vault, protecting personal information on your PC, IM encryption for Yahoo and MSN Messenger, central management of BitDefender installed on home network PCs, a less intrusive games mode (it helpfully spots ‘full screen' apps and asks if they are games) as well as better performance with lower resource consumption.
Another cute feature of BitDefender Total Security 2009 is the automatic scanning of devices you plug in, such as USB memory sticks or CD-Rs. A list of interesting additions, in other words.
The BitDefender Total Security 2009 user interface (UI) is largely unchanged — you get a choice of two; a basic, ‘big-button' dashboard to appeal to novices, and an advanced UI, for those who like to tweak. Either way, it's easy enough to master.
Scanning speeds are better with this version, although not the first time round — BitDefender Total Security 2009 ignores unchanged files, which noticeably shortens scan times.
Sometimes it can take several successive scans to remove persistent infections. And if BitDefender Total Security 2009 finds a damaged file that has been backed up online, it'll automatically replace the damaged file with the backed up one.
The firewall keeps those annoying pop-up questions to a minimum but not to the minimal levels of, say, Norton 360. Nevertheless, BitDefender Total Security 2009's is one of the better ‘suite' firewalls. Spam filtering is just as good, if a little slow.
When it came to efficacy, BitDefender Total Security 2009's ability to detect the various categories of malware is slightly unbalanced. The recent AV-Test.org test of security suites gave BitDefender an impressive 97.6 per cent detection score when it came to malware but only a so-so score of 87.8 per cent for spyware. This was more or less the same scores achieved by the 2008 version so detection rates haven't improved. Its rivals have, however, moved on and you can get near 100 per cent scores from the likes of Avira and Avast.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Nokia 6 (2018) review: Simple. Solid. Supreme.
- 2 Samsung Q9F Series QLED: Peak performance from a home entertainment heavyweight
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Why is Bitcoin such a security hazard?
- No, We Didn't Get Hacked: Dixons' PC World loses customer data in cyber attack
- Amazon offers explanation after Alexa accidentally shares user’s data
- GDPR comes into force, ramifications visible from day one
- Hackers infect more than 500,000 devices as malicious attack looms
PCW Evaluation Team
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
- Computex 2018: Everything you missed at Asia's biggest tech tradeshow
- Computex 2018: Nvidia launches new AI-focused hardware and software platforms
- Huawei P20 Pro review: See it and believe the hype
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies