BitDefender Internet Security 2011
BitDefender Internet Security 2011: Great overall protection
- Great overall protection; Very good at avoiding false positives
- Registration and activation take a long time; Organization could be better
BitDefender Internet Security 2011 multiple-mode interface over complicates matters, but this full-featured suite blocks malware effectively.
Price$ 74.93 (AUD)
Are you a casual computer user who wants a streamlined security software experience? Or are you a dyed-in-the-wool computer pro who wants access to every configuration option, security alert, and log- file entry?
With BitDefender Internet Security 2011 ($74.93 for a one-year, three-PC license as of 12/2/2010), BitDefender's goal is to cover you either way: Unique among security applications, it offers three different user interface views, one showing the absolute basics, another an intermediate view with a moderate amount of information, and third, an expert view with everything laid bare.
We expect most users will find the basic view too basic, while true novices may have difficulty finding the option to immediately scan their PC (it lurks beneath a large box labeled "Security"). The intermediate view is unique, reminiscent of an icon-based smartphone interface, with a series of boxes where various "tools" ("Update Now," "Configure Firewall," and so on) can be arranged by the user, much like app icons on an iPhone. And then there's the overwhelming expert mode, where I spent most of my time, if only because it offered the best access to advanced configuration options.
Organization could be better here—if nothing else, we'd appreciate the option to run a scan from the main dashboard without digging into the tabs—but on the whole, it isn't too much trouble to find what you need.
BitDefender's overall protection levels are very good, but short of the topmost tier of products we reviewed. In our examination, the suite stopped 22 of 25 real-world attacks and turned away 97.5 percent of known malware in traditional detection tests. Those figures sound good, but top products blocked 24 real-world attacks, and hit 99 percent or higher on the latter measure.
BitDefender excels in the realm of avoiding false positives: It had absolutely none in our tests, and it tied with PC Tools Internet Security as having the best overall success at fixing infected PCs, removing active malware components in 80 percent of infections, and removing all traces of malware 70 percent of the time. Unfortunately, BitDefender has a serious sore spot when it comes to system speed: While on-demand and on-access scan speeds were acceptable, simply having BitDefender installed slows your computer down considerably: Of the 13 products we tested, BitDefender was third to last when it came to its impact on our test PC's performance.
We had other issues with BitDefender that merit mention. Registration and activation are required during install, and setup seemingly takes an eternity of clicking through screen after screen. We loved that BitDefender hunts for old security applications on your machine and can uninstall them for you, avoiding the headaches that can be caused by having competing antimalware software on one system, but having to reboot and start the installation from scratch after removing the old antivirus software was a nagging pain.
A bigger concern was how noticeably sluggish BitDefender was at everything from simply loading its management interface to running scans. Full system scans took well over an hour, and during one full scan our test computer crashed. We also weren't fans of all the oversized system tray pop-ups that BitDefender is fond of. The information they provided was never of much use and could safely be hidden from even an expert user.
BitDefender is something of a budget option, and while it has its issues—and its security capabilities could use an upgrade—it's still a good fit for almost any class of user.
Join the newsletter!
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Apple iPhone X
Toys for Boys
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Xbox One X
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Keep Watch Day and Night with Uniden’s Two-In-One Camera and Spotlight
- McAfee Labs Previews Five Cybersecurity Trends for 2018
- Man charged in Yahoo hacking case to plead guilty
- Uber confirms massive 2016 data breach
- D-Link Adds Android Support and Launches Updated App for Omna 180 Cam HD
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTEnterprise Architect - ApplicationsOther
- FTSenior Security ConsultantACT
- FTSenior Power BI Developer, AzureOther
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA
- CCRelease Management LeadNSW
- FTSenior .NET Developer - Back EndOther
- CCJava Developers (EOI)QLD
- FTEnterprise Lean Agile CoachOther
- FTETL DeveloperOther
- FTDevelopment manager - Product and PlanningOther
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- CCAutomation Test AnalystNSW
- TPSolution Architect - ServiceNowQLD
- FTSenior .Net Developer - (Australian Citizens Only)Other
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectOther
- FTSERVICE DESK - ENTRY LEVELSA
- FTBusiness Project ManagerOther
- TPSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTDeployment TechnicianVIC
- FTPlatform Architect - InfrastructureOther
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- FTTransition ManagerOther
- FTDevOps Engineer - Financial ServicesOther
- FTFinancial AdministratorOther