BitDefender Internet Security 2010
BitDefender Internet Security 2010 provides solid protection at a low price.
- Solid signature-based malware detection, good interface
- Had trouble stopping brand new malware, firewall warned about some popular apps
BitDefender Internet Security 2010 offers a good selection of useful internet Security tools and solid protection at a reasonable price. If you don't mind a few firewall notices, you should be happy with this suite.
Price$ 74.92 (AUD)
BitDefender gets a much-needed interface redesign for 2010. The new interface comes in three variations: a basic display with only three large icons and simple text, an intermediate design showing more detail, and an advanced interface for those who want to see granular details. Colour status indicators (red, yellow, and green) make it easy to see at a glance whether your PC is protected.
In detecting and disabling active infections, this suite proved effective. BitDefender Internet Security 2010 found all of the infected files and Registry entries and disabled 93 percent, but it completely removed only 40 percent of the malware, leaving traces behind.
In detection and disinfection of rootkits (stealth malware used to hide other malware infections), BitDefender Internet Security 2010 did well, detecting 97 percent of active and inactive rootkits. It disabled 93 percent of active rootkits, and fully removed 86 percent of rootkit samples. However, Kaspersky and McAfee both earned perfect scores across the board here.
BitDefender Internet Security 2010 did a poor job at detecting and blocking malware based on behavioral analysis (detecting malware based solely on how it acts); it detected 80 percent of test samples, blocked 40 percent, and removed only 6 percent of samples. These results are not a good sign. Behavioral detection is a good way of detecting brand-new malware threats for which no signature file exists.
The suite did put up decent results for signature-based malware detection. BitDefender Internet Security 2010 detected 96 percent of samples. The top performer in this test, by comparison, detected upwards of 99.9 percent of samples.
BitDefender Internet Security 2010's firewall was a bit noisy, warning us about the activities of some popular applications like CDBurnerXP 4, DivX 7, OpenOffice 3, and Picasa 3 that pose no threat. No other suite we tested had as many notable false positives.
In our battery of tests to determine how much a suite slows down a PC on which it's running, BitDefender did well, but it wasn't among the most efficient. Our test PC booted quickly, with BitDefender Internet Security 2010 improving the average startup time by roughly 3.5 seconds for a total of 43.46 seconds at startup. Like Norton Internet Security, BitDefender uses optimized scanning: It scans only the files that have changed since the last scan, thus improving performance during normal desktop operation. Despite this feature, scan speeds were around average; it took 4 minutes, 16 seconds to scan 4.5GB of data in our on-access scan test (which shows how well it scans files when they're opened or saved). Our top performer completed this test in 2 minutes, 51 seconds.
BitDefender Internet Security 2010 doesn't offer a lot of technical support options. We found the searchable knowledge base limited, and the company offers email support only if you can't find what you're looking for.
Join the newsletter!
Why virtualise your NAS environment?
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- D-Link ANZ Partners Exclusively with AVSystem for Zero-Touch Device Management in Australia and New Zealand
- Intel tells customers to stop rolling out faulty patches
- CES 2018: Google Assistant To Come To Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt
- Keep Watch Day and Night with Uniden’s Two-In-One Camera and Spotlight
- McAfee Labs Previews Five Cybersecurity Trends for 2018
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Which 2018 Smart Speaker Should I Buy
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTJava DeveloperVIC
- TPTest Analyst - AutomationQLD
- CCJava Tech Lead with AEMNSW
- FTPMO ManagerNSW
- CCProject Manager - Manufacturing IndustryVIC
- FTApplication Support ManagerOther
- FTAWS DevOps EngineerOther
- FT1st Level Technical SupportVIC
- FTWeb DesignerOther
- FTNetezza Developer - Brisbane locationVIC
- FTDevOps Engineer / Senior Analyst ProgrammerOther
- CCSecurity AnalystVIC
- FTSystem AnalystSA
- CCField Technician - Windows/ Office 365 EnvironmentVIC
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect ? Azure Cloud InfrastructureQLD
- FTProject Manager - Product & Value ChainOther
- TPProject Support OfficerQLD
- CCService Design LeadVIC
- CCOracle Fusion Middleware AdminNSW
- FTSitecore - Full Stack .Net DeveloperQLD
- FTSAP Test AnalystsACT
- FTNetwork Support Engineer - Level 2/3NSW
- CCUnix AdminNSW
- FTAPI Developer | Full stackOther