BitDefender Internet Security 2010
BitDefender Internet Security 2010 provides solid protection at a low price.
- Solid signature-based malware detection, good interface
- Had trouble stopping brand new malware, firewall warned about some popular apps
BitDefender Internet Security 2010 offers a good selection of useful internet Security tools and solid protection at a reasonable price. If you don't mind a few firewall notices, you should be happy with this suite.
Price$ 74.92 (AUD)
BitDefender gets a much-needed interface redesign for 2010. The new interface comes in three variations: a basic display with only three large icons and simple text, an intermediate design showing more detail, and an advanced interface for those who want to see granular details. Colour status indicators (red, yellow, and green) make it easy to see at a glance whether your PC is protected.
In detecting and disabling active infections, this suite proved effective. BitDefender Internet Security 2010 found all of the infected files and Registry entries and disabled 93 percent, but it completely removed only 40 percent of the malware, leaving traces behind.
In detection and disinfection of rootkits (stealth malware used to hide other malware infections), BitDefender Internet Security 2010 did well, detecting 97 percent of active and inactive rootkits. It disabled 93 percent of active rootkits, and fully removed 86 percent of rootkit samples. However, Kaspersky and McAfee both earned perfect scores across the board here.
BitDefender Internet Security 2010 did a poor job at detecting and blocking malware based on behavioral analysis (detecting malware based solely on how it acts); it detected 80 percent of test samples, blocked 40 percent, and removed only 6 percent of samples. These results are not a good sign. Behavioral detection is a good way of detecting brand-new malware threats for which no signature file exists.
The suite did put up decent results for signature-based malware detection. BitDefender Internet Security 2010 detected 96 percent of samples. The top performer in this test, by comparison, detected upwards of 99.9 percent of samples.
BitDefender Internet Security 2010's firewall was a bit noisy, warning us about the activities of some popular applications like CDBurnerXP 4, DivX 7, OpenOffice 3, and Picasa 3 that pose no threat. No other suite we tested had as many notable false positives.
In our battery of tests to determine how much a suite slows down a PC on which it's running, BitDefender did well, but it wasn't among the most efficient. Our test PC booted quickly, with BitDefender Internet Security 2010 improving the average startup time by roughly 3.5 seconds for a total of 43.46 seconds at startup. Like Norton Internet Security, BitDefender uses optimized scanning: It scans only the files that have changed since the last scan, thus improving performance during normal desktop operation. Despite this feature, scan speeds were around average; it took 4 minutes, 16 seconds to scan 4.5GB of data in our on-access scan test (which shows how well it scans files when they're opened or saved). Our top performer completed this test in 2 minutes, 51 seconds.
BitDefender Internet Security 2010 doesn't offer a lot of technical support options. We found the searchable knowledge base limited, and the company offers email support only if you can't find what you're looking for.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- This week in games: Civilization III for free, Halloween modes shower treats and tricks
- Newegg's selling a 35-inch 2560x1080 curved monitor for $449 today
- Harman Kardon Invoke hands-on: Cortana enters the smart speaker market with a boom
- iPhone 8 Plus vs. LG G6: Which has the best camera in a smartphone?
- Logitech G703 review: A mainstream wireless mouse with some exceptional features
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior ArchitectACT
- FTC ++ DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior PMO AnalystOther
- FTSenior Digital Producer/Digital Program ManagerOther
- FTImplementation ManagerOther
- TPTechnical Business AnalystQLD
- FTData Analyst/Business Analyst/Project ManagerACT
- TPAngular DeveloperNSW
- FTTechnical WriterOther
- FTAssociate Consultant - Help DeskNSW
- FTURGENT - Contract opportunity Business Analyst - Finance - Immediate startVIC
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- CCI&CS Communications LeadVIC
- FTPython DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Project ManagerACT
- FTL1/L2 Helpdesk Technician - FIFOWA
- FTDevOps ConsultantVIC
- FTSolutions Architect - Metering Systems / AMIOther
- CCCloud Engineer - Amazon Web ServicesQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCLead Service Designer - CANBERRA BASEDVIC
- TPIT Project Manager - Large Complex CRM ImplementationNSW
- TPCRM Project ManagerQLD
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- CCSenior .Net Developer/ Team LeadQLD