BitDefender Internet Security 10.0
- Offers improved proactive detection.
- Less-than-friendly user interface.
Price$ 86.00 (AUD)
BitDefender provides a full suit of armour to protect your PC when it's online, either while you're browsing the Internet, sending e-mail or simply while your PC is connected via always-on broadband. It does so with the help of a suite of tools: antivirus, spam protection, parental controls, firewall and antispyware. This selection of weapons more than matches those offered by other Internet security suites, including Symantec and McAfee.
The modular design and the fact that every aspect of BitDefender has been coded directly by the manufacturer, Softwin, means the code is more concise. It takes up a fraction of the space consumed by many of BitDefender's bloated rivals.
BitDefender's background is in corporate security products -- and it shows in the complex documentation and the less-than-friendly interface. It's not always clear what you should be doing. We found that setting up required some technical knowledge.
With each module, you can use a slider to set the level of protection -- from paranoid to laid back. Alternatively, advanced users can set a custom level, selecting exactly what the software will allow or block.
Antivirus protection is on two levels. It scans your system in real-time, and you can schedule full system scans. This version of the software offers improved proactive detection. B-HAVE (behavioural heuristic analyzer in virtual environments), allows unknown software to be tested in a virtual computer environment. This means that bugs can be stopped before they reach the OS (operating system), even if they have not been officially flagged up as malicious code.
At its default setting, the firewall did seem to throw up lots of hard-to-interpret warning messages, but you can train it as you work by setting up rules to always allow or block access. Version 10.0 includes an updated list of trusted applications, so it can advise on whether to allow access to the Internet. And the firewall includes port scan detection and will block any attempt to connect to ports to identify vulnerabilities.
The antispam feature has been updated to include a phishing detector. It features improved adaptive filtering to block unwanted mail, which develops filtering criteria based on past decisions.
Spyware is on the increase and, as with most Internet security suites, BitDefender protects against it. It will monitor and prevent spyware in real-time and includes a copy of Uncover to detect rootkits before installation.
The parental controls module allows you to block access to inappropriate Web sites or e-mails, or to stop access to the Internet entirely. You can even set different profiles dependent on the age of the user.
BitDefender's after sales support is commendable. Hourly updates are available and 24-hour support is included. Home users are entitled to use two copies of the software.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Nest jumps into home security with Nest Secure
- Master Lock bring new Smart Padlocks to Oz
- Trend Micro Strengthens its Security Offerings in Trend Micro Security
- Billions of devices at risk as Bluetooth-bourne vulnerability exposed
- Trend Micro launches new Home Network Scanner
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTRuby on Rails DeveloperNSW
- TPInfrastructure ArchitectNSW
- FTData Modeller (Test Data Management)ACT
- FTSenior Consultant - DevOpsOther
- FTMEAN Stack DeveloperACT
- TPBusiness Intelligence ManagerNSW
- CCDigital Business AnalystACT
- FTJava Application developer - Insurance BackgroundQLD
- CCService Desk ConsultantNSW
- CCHogan Technical Consultant - BrisbaneNSW
- FTIT Project ManagerOther
- TPDeployment EngineerVIC
- CCAppian DeveloperVIC
- CCFull-Stack AWS Python DeveloperWA
- FTEnd User Support OfficerSA
- CCScrum Master / Project ManagerNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCXamarin Mobile Developer - East MelbourneNSW
- TPSQL Database AdministratorQLD
- FTMS Dynamics SpecialistACT
- FTData Scientist/Java LeadVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager - BI/DWOther
- FTApplication/Maintenance DeveloperOther
- FTSalesforce Platform LeadOther