BitDefender Internet Security 10.0
- Offers improved proactive detection.
- Less-than-friendly user interface.
Price$ 86.00 (AUD)
BitDefender provides a full suit of armour to protect your PC when it's online, either while you're browsing the Internet, sending e-mail or simply while your PC is connected via always-on broadband. It does so with the help of a suite of tools: antivirus, spam protection, parental controls, firewall and antispyware. This selection of weapons more than matches those offered by other Internet security suites, including Symantec and McAfee.
The modular design and the fact that every aspect of BitDefender has been coded directly by the manufacturer, Softwin, means the code is more concise. It takes up a fraction of the space consumed by many of BitDefender's bloated rivals.
BitDefender's background is in corporate security products -- and it shows in the complex documentation and the less-than-friendly interface. It's not always clear what you should be doing. We found that setting up required some technical knowledge.
With each module, you can use a slider to set the level of protection -- from paranoid to laid back. Alternatively, advanced users can set a custom level, selecting exactly what the software will allow or block.
Antivirus protection is on two levels. It scans your system in real-time, and you can schedule full system scans. This version of the software offers improved proactive detection. B-HAVE (behavioural heuristic analyzer in virtual environments), allows unknown software to be tested in a virtual computer environment. This means that bugs can be stopped before they reach the OS (operating system), even if they have not been officially flagged up as malicious code.
At its default setting, the firewall did seem to throw up lots of hard-to-interpret warning messages, but you can train it as you work by setting up rules to always allow or block access. Version 10.0 includes an updated list of trusted applications, so it can advise on whether to allow access to the Internet. And the firewall includes port scan detection and will block any attempt to connect to ports to identify vulnerabilities.
The antispam feature has been updated to include a phishing detector. It features improved adaptive filtering to block unwanted mail, which develops filtering criteria based on past decisions.
Spyware is on the increase and, as with most Internet security suites, BitDefender protects against it. It will monitor and prevent spyware in real-time and includes a copy of Uncover to detect rootkits before installation.
The parental controls module allows you to block access to inappropriate Web sites or e-mails, or to stop access to the Internet entirely. You can even set different profiles dependent on the age of the user.
BitDefender's after sales support is commendable. Hourly updates are available and 24-hour support is included. Home users are entitled to use two copies of the software.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- D-Link Adds Android Support and Launches Updated App for Omna 180 Cam HD
- Monitoring the home has become more flexible with Uniden’s App Cam Solo
- ESET works with Google to halt dangerous malware
- Cybersecurity is a Shared Responsibility, Warns ESET
- Nest jumps into home security with Nest Secure
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Apple TV 4K review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectOther
- CCTransition Manger - Infrastructure ServicesVIC
- CCService management Business AnalystNSW
- TPMicrosoft Cloud Infrastructure Solution ArchitectQLD
- TPSenior Network EngineerVIC
- FTIT Service Delivery Manager - Workplace Technology (O365 & SP)Other
- FTApplication Packaging EngineerOther
- FTPerformance EngineerOther
- FTFront End DeveloperOther
- FTTechnical Business Analyst / Application Support AnalystOther
- FTRecords AnalystOther
- FTService Desk CoordinatorVIC
- FTProgram Communications SpecialistOther
- FTMySQL Database Administrator- Meadowbank locationOther
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - TelcoVIC
- FTApplication Support Team Lead l Experience with health applicationsNSW
- TPSystems EngineerNSW
- FTAutomation TesterOther
- FTFinancial AdministratorOther
- FTSenior Agile Software Business AnalystOther
- TPJava DeveloperWA
- FTNetwork Lead AcrhitectVIC
- FTService Desk CoordinatorVIC