"If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work."
BitDefender Antivirus 2010
BitDefender Antivirus 2010 needs a better interface
- Decent malware blocker
- Poor rootkit removal, confusing interface
BitDefender Antivirus 2010 will get the job done, but it needs a better user interface.
Price$ 44.92 (AUD)
BitDefender Antivirus ($44.92 for a one-year, three-PC licence) holds its own at dealing with malware, but its interface isn't especially user-friendly. Overall the program earned fourth place in our roundup of stand-alone antivirus programs.
This Romanian-made software did well in traditional detection tests that put it up against a collection of known malware kept by AV-Test.org. BitDefender detected 99.66 percent of all samples in a huge cache of spyware, Trojan horses, worms, and the like. But several other apps did even better, so that showing was good enough only for fifth place.
BitDefender did much the same in heuristic tests that simulate detection of newer malware by using two-week old databases.Its 65.34 percent block rate in these tests was respectable, but again yielded a fifth-place finish. The app did better in other proactive protection tests that measure a program's ability to block a baddie based solely on how it acts on a PC, blocking two-thirds of the brand-new test samples, earning it a tie for second place.
Presented with the task of disinfecting files, BitDefender disabled nine out of ten malware infections. By comparison, all but three programs in this roundup managed to remove every malware component we threw at them. And it languished in last place (along with G Data) when it cleaned up only seven out of ten active rootkits. It did clean up a greater percentage of the less-important files and system changes than most of the other security apps.
Despite some good features, BitDefender's interface isn't executed particularly well. For example, any security guru will tell you that keeping Windows up-to-date is essential for good security, and BitDefender can scan for missing updates. Unfortunately, it will display a critical warning if you happen to lack an optional package on its list--such as the Microsoft Base Smart Card Cryptographic Service Provider Package--even though it isn't really necessary to protect your PC.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Nokia 6 (2018) review: Simple. Solid. Supreme.
- 2 Samsung Q9F Series QLED: Peak performance from a home entertainment heavyweight
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Judge paves the way for British hacker's extradition to US
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
PCW Evaluation Team
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
- Computex 2018: Everything you missed at Asia's biggest tech tradeshow
- Computex 2018: Nvidia launches new AI-focused hardware and software platforms
- Huawei P20 Pro review: See it and believe the hype
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies