BitZipper handles more kinds of file compression than the competition does
- Supports a wide range of file formats
- A minor interface annoyance
We would recommend BitZipper for anyone who regularly uses, or needs to open, a variety of archive formats
Price$ 31.98 (AUD)
A new year, a new chance for the makers of file compression software to try to convince us that we need to upgrade despite the fact most of the formats we use haven't changed since the first President Bush. I've looked at the latest Stuffit Deluxe, so now let's look at BitZipper ($31.98, 30-day free trial).
BitZipper's claim to fame is that it supports a lot of formats. A lot of formats. Forty-four in this version, from the well-known .zip and .rar to newer ones like .7z and ancient relics like .tar. The only major format I don't see on the list is Stuffit (.sit), which WinZip doesn't support either. By comparison, Stuffit and WinZip each support about 30 formats (to be fair, each of them includes some extra functions that can be useful).
BitZipper opens a lot of things other compression tools will not: Want to peek inside a Java .JAR file? BitZipper will show it to you. BitZipper also supports some aging features like UUEncode, once used to send binary files across the text-only USENET. Ah, the work we used to have to do get our Simpsons .wav files... I mean, Linux distributions.
The interface is pretty standard: tabs for showing multiple archives, an "Explorer" pane to let you root through your hard disk looking for forgotten files, and so on. One minor annoyance is that the only way to close a tab is to go to the "File" menu--there's no close box or right-click menu.
I would recommend BitZipper for anyone who regularly uses, or needs to open, a variety of archive formats. It's a lot better than having several different tools, and its ability to convert archives from one format to another is nice. It cannot create nearly as many archive formats as it can read, but it does support a lot of outputs, which is something its competitors do not do. It's also cheaper than either Stuffit Deluxe or WinZip (either Pro or Standard)--and the same price as Stuffit Standard--with comparable general-purpose compression functionality.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCAutomation TesterNSW
- CCCognos/Datastage DeveloperQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst - BI & ReportingNSW
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- CCNetwork and Security ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystACT
- CCWindows / Unix / Linux Systems Administration / Support SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Superannuation/WealthOther
- CCWintel Engineer - BrisbaneVIC
- CCLevel 1 Service Desk SupportWA
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- FTCitrix Administrator/ EngineerOther
- CCMobile Applications DeveloperQLD
- TPIT Project Delivery CoordinatorQLD
- CCJunior IT Project ManagerNSW
- CCSAP HR / Payroll AnalystSA
- CCWintel Engineer - BrisbaneNSW
- CCMobile Applications DeveloperQLD
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTDigital Producer | High Profile Website | 6 Month ContractOther
- CCSharePoint DeveloperACT
- CCMid-Level Oracle SQL DeveloperWA
- FTProject Manager - Software Development ProjectsOther
- CCDigital Reporting AnalystNSW