The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (preview)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is going to be one of the hottest games of 2011
- Improved visuals, dragons, it's the sequel to Oblivion, did we mention dragons
- November 11 is a long time to wait for fans, we're worried about the PC version being too 'console-ised'
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is one of the most anticipated games of 2011. We can't wait to get our hands on it.
It's almost exactly five years since The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was released. But fans of the Elder Scrolls series — and it has a lot of fans — have almost eight months still to wait until the next part of the series is released. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will be the newest addition to the first-person action RPG franchise, and it's due to be released on November 11.
Check out our collection of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim screenshots.
In a blog entry at Elderscrolls.com/ game director Todd Howard explained that after Bethesda Game Studios finished Oblivion, the team "dove full steam into making Fallout 3. But we did put down a few ideas on paper about what we’d do after Fallout, and that would be Skyrim, featuring the return of dragons to the Elder Scrolls. We usually start with an overall tone of the game. And Skyrim spoke to all of us. The original home of men: rugged, weathered. The ancient power of the Nords would come to life through their shouts. You would battle with dragons, using their language, and become the one thing they fear: Dovahkiin, the Dragonborn. Five years later and we’re excited to finally share some of this vision as it comes to life on the screen."
The events of Skyrim will take place two centuries after those depicted in Oblivion (the events of oblivion consisting mainly of picking flowers and herbs, mercilessly slaughtering innocent villages and accumulating a large number of houses, if we recall correctly; oh, and closing a few Oblivion gates). Skyrim takes place in, er Skyrim — with the game area being about the size of Oblivion's.
Bethesda has revealed that Skyrim will use a new engine — not Gamebryo, which was used for Fallout 3, Oblivion and The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.
Along with improved visuals, Skyrim will offer tweaked combat, improved AI and dragons. We're not sure which of those we're most excited about. Needless to say, it's going to be an agonising wait until November 11.
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will be available for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Windows.
Join the newsletter!
Why virtualise your NAS environment?
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- High Court dismisses Valve’s special leave to appeal $3 million fine
- Wargaming signs publishing deal with Mad Head Games
- Serious Sam 4 teased ahead of E3 showcase
- Ballistix Launches Tactical Tracer RGB DDR4 Gaming Memory
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege Exceeds 30 Million Players Milestone
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- ASUS ROG Zephyrus M review: Leaner and meaner
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- Picture Perfect: OPPO prepare their boldest smartphone yet
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCScrum MasterACT
- FTTechnical Quality Analyst (Payments, data, application integration)VIC
- FTBusiness Connection Manager (Telco/Operations)Other
- FTSenior AWS Cloud SpecialistsOther
- CCPega ArchitectNSW
- FTUX/UI DesignerQLD
- FTMarketing Analyst - $60 phOther
- CCKnowledge Analyst (Digital Content)NSW
- FTUI DesignerOther
- FTSoftware Media Applications SpecialistOther
- FTApplication Support SpecialistOther
- CCSenior Cost Analyst - TelcoVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - RFTVIC
- FTHR System ConsultantOther
- TPUX UI DesignerNSW
- CCOracle E-Business Suite DeveloperQLD
- CCIntegration Analyst (Clinical/Healthcare)QLD
- CCSenior Node.js DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Software EngineerOther
- CCDeveloper - DeliveryNSW
- CCMessaging AdministratorQLD
- FTNetwork Operator - Order Support CentreOther
- TPProject CoordiantorNSW
- FTSenior Systems Engineer (Office 365)Other
- FTPrincipal Consultant - Scheduling & Planning (Primavera & MSP)Other