Bethesda Softworks Preview: Fallout 3
- You get to play as a toddler!
- We'll let you know once we get our hands on a copy
Visually, the game already looks phenomenal, and is far, far more detailed than the already stunning Oblivion. Bethesda is promising virtually identical graphics and performance between the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC versions as well as simultaneous launch dates. Late 2008 is a long way off...but we have a hunch that Fallout 3 is one game worth waiting for.
While Fallout 3 hasn't hit our shores yet, we did have the privilege of seeing the demo.
Oblivion was just the beginning. We unearth the dark, mutant-infested world of Fallout 3.
Flashback: in 2077, the Year of Our Lord, the United States and China launch a brief, vicious nuclear artillery exchange. As it turns out, Armageddon isn't the end of the world; it is, as narrator Ron Perlman describes, a "prologue to another bloody chapter" in man's existence.
Just before the war, many sought refuge in massive underground bunkers called Vaults. Once sealed, the Vaults are sealed permanently -- nobody enters, nobody leaves. This is the dark world of Fallout, a cult hit on the PC in the late 90's and now an upcoming action-RPG from Bethesda Softworks, creator of The Elder Scrolls series.
You call this a super mutant?
Fallout 3 is set 200 years after the bombs dropped, some 80 years following the first Fallout. You begin the game in Vault 101, a facility that lies beneath the bomb-blasted surface of Washington, D.C. -- a similar setup to past Fallout titles. But rather than start as a standard low-level character, Bethesda breaks role-playing convention by putting you in the satin-laced booties of a toddler.
During this "baby segment", you'll learn to walk, play with toys, and lay the groundwork for your character class as an adult. It's a tutorial and an innovative prologue all wrapped into one. Later, at the tender age of 19, you sneak out of the confines of Vault 101 to find your father (played by Hollywood veteran Liam Neeson), an influential scientist who has disappeared from his lifelong home.
Upon leaving the vault, you emerge into the shattered, ruined corpse of Washington, D.C. Vile "super mutants" prowl the sewers and giant ants skitter around the nearby foothills. As in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Fallout 3's action takes place primarily through a first-person perspective (an over-the-shoulder camera is also available). And though you'll tote a variety of shotguns, rifles and laser carbines, Fallout 3 isn't a first-person shooter...at least, not exactly. Strategy and skill selection play a vital role in your success, as does targeting enemy body parts to cripple them in various ways. Fallout 3 is first and foremost a role-playing game. Action counts, but this ain't no Halo.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Watch us play Vanquish on PC
- Tannenberg expands Verdun's World War I horrors to the Eastern front
- MSI Wins Computex Best Choice Award 2017 for a Record-Breaking 5 Products
- Destiny 2: The 5 key things PC gamers need to know
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Asus launches laptops to start Computex 2017
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTDigital Marketing Executive / Content ProducerOther
- CCSenior Systems EngineerQLD
- FTAccounts and Office AdministratorNSW
- FTJava Developer - Networking ExperienceOther
- FTTenable AdministratorOther
- FTDevelopment and Delivery Manager - CloudACT
- FTTest LeadACT
- FTClient Onboarding ManagerNSW
- FTSplunk Software Developer | 6mth ContractOther
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC
- TPSenior Developer - API - Data ReportingNSW
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FTInformation Security ArchitectOther
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer (Mid level) - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTTest Analyst (Datawarehouse)Other
- FTPortfolio OfficerOther
- CCData AnalystNSW
- CCState-wide Business Transition Lead - BrisbaneVIC
- CCGraduate DeveloperQLD
- TPICT Customer Support OfficerNSW
- FTSenior Analyst - Rostering ProjectOther
- CCSenior PMO AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Teradata Developer/Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- FTHead of Architecture - Information and DataOther