BenQ G2412HD 24-inch LCD monitor
This Full HD BenQ monitor offers HDMI connectivity, making it ideal to hook up to a high-definition gaming console
- Full HD resolution, HDMI input, 2ms response time, good colour and contrast, 16:9 widescreen
- Some image noise via HDMI, glossy bezel reflects light, stand isn't height adjustable, controls aren't backlit, viewing angles could be improved
The Full HD resolution and HDMI port make the BenQ G2412HD a relatively inexpensive way to get the most out of high-definition gaming consoles. The level of image noise could be improved when the monitor is connected via HDMI, but given the asking price this monitor is a decent option.
Price$ 449.00 (AUD)
BenQ's 24in G2412HD LCD monitor looks almost identical to the BenQ G2410HD but it adds an HDMI port. Combined with the monitor's Full HD resolution, it makes the BenQ G2412HD ideal for people who own a high-definition gaming console, such as Microsoft's Xbox 360 or Sony's PlayStation 3.
The BenQ G2412HD LCD monitor has a thin glossy black bezel and a dome-shaped base. There are more stylish monitors on the market, and the G2412HD has a glossy bezel that is irritatingly reflective. The screen itself has a matte finish. The monitor's base offers vertical tilt adjustment, but the stand isn’t height adjustable and doesn’t tilt horizontally. However, the unit is wall mountable with a standard VESA mount.
The G2410HD's controls are hit and miss. They are placed below the bezel at the bottom right of the monitor, sitting on an angle. They aren’t backlit so it's difficult to adjust settings at night, and the button placement is rather awkward.
The BenQ G2412HD has a native resolution of 1920x1080 — Full HD. Combined with its 16:9 aspect ratio and HDMI input, it means this monitor is great for watching high-definition movies. We hooked the G2412HD up to a Blu-ray player and the results were quite impressive: motion is smooth, colours are accurately reproduced and the image is crisp and clear. Our main complaint is image noise. When watching Blu-ray discs and playing games on an Xbox 360 via HDMI, the image revealed more noise than we expected. It's not a huge issue, but does detract slightly from the overall image quality.
The G2412HD also has DVI and D-Sub VGA ports. Annoyingly, BenQ doesn't include a DVI or HDMI cable in the sales package.
For regular use computer use via DVI or D-Sub the G2412HD provides good image quality and performance. We were particularly impressed by its motion handling. It has a 2ms response time when BenQ's Advanced Motion Accelerator (AMA) feature is activated and we didn't encounter any ghosting issues.
Contrast and colour reproduction are good, although fine dark details and skin tones are slightly over-saturated. The BenQ G2412HD displays text crisply with no visible aberrations.
The G2412HD's viewing angles are rated at 160/170 degrees which is fair but not outstanding. There is noticeable colour shift and detail loss when viewing the screen from off-centre.
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 3 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 4 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Dell's luscious new 4K monitor is bold, bright, and HDR-infused
- Samsung's 49-inch mega-wide display may displace multi-monitor setups
- More high-end GPUs are now compatible with Dell's 8K monitor
- Dell's wild 8K monitor goes on sale with a just-as-stunning price tag
- LG's 4K HDR monitor gets a price and release date, heralding a new era for PC displays
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTOperations Manager - NV1 Cleared - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTDigital Business Analyst/Project Manager | PermanentQLD
- FTSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW
- FTSales Lead / Sales Executive - Enterprise IT Healthcare Perm - North RydeNSW
- CCSenior Systems Engineer - WintelVIC
- FTSenior Systems AnalystSA
- CCABAP ConsultantACT
- FTTest AnalystNSW
- FTWintel Engineer - Website hostingNSW
- FTDigital ProducerNSW
- FTIT Systems EngineerQLD
- FTSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTSnr Technical Salesforce Consultant Global IT Managed Services - SydneyNSW
- CCImplementation Manager/PlannerQLD
- TPProject Manager - SOE / Office 365VIC
- FTSupport Analyst - TallymanVIC
- CCGIS DeveloperQLD
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT Software & Primary HealthcareQLD
- TPSenior Business Systems AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- TPJunior Node.js DeveloperVIC
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT HealthcareQLD
- CCSenior Solution AnalystVIC