BenQ Australia FP231W
- Funky design, portrait orientation features
- Poor image quality
Good looks and nice features don't adequately compensate for the FP231W 's less-than-stellar display.
Price$ 2,799.00 (AUD)
Benq's 23" wide-screen LCD monitor--the FP231W--makes an impressive desk trophy. I can't tell you how many co-workers stopped by to cast covetous glances at its business-class beauty. But unfortunately, its performance doesn't live up to the great first impression.
Although the monitor's sedate charcoal-and-matte-silver cabinet looks very professional, the $1999 FP231W is clearly meant for greater things than just spreadsheets. In addition to analog and digital inputs, it includes S-Video and composite inputs. The unit's vast screen, with a 1920 x 1200 native resolution, can display several applications at once--and that isn't counting the picture-in-picture window for watching TV or videos.
However, in my informal tests of a shipping model, regular video seemed to be a little grainy and ghosty. High-definition video was sharper, but still showed some ghosting. In any application, light areas appeared shimmery and washed out, causing black text on a white background to display as less than perfect.
The FP231W offers some nice features. For example, unlike most 23" models it can swivel from side to side as well as tilt. Even when I raised the monitor several centimetres on its base, it felt stable and well balanced. Sadly, such fancy features don't overcome the unit's iffy image quality.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- G-Sync HDR displays go ultrawide and ultra-fast with the 200Hz Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ
- Dell's luscious new 4K monitor is bold, bright, and HDR-infused
- Samsung's 49-inch mega-wide display may displace multi-monitor setups
- More high-end GPUs are now compatible with Dell's 8K monitor
- Dell's wild 8K monitor goes on sale with a just-as-stunning price tag
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Business Analyst - MAXIMO Asset ManagementOther
- TPSenior UX SpecialistVIC
- FTUnix/Linux Engineer | 6mth ContractOther
- FTSecurity Engineer - SIEMNSW
- CCJava Developer with Guidewire ExperienceQLD
- FTSenior Siebel Integrator/Developer - Canberra/MelbourneACT
- FTSiebel Design AnalystOther
- FTSales / Account ManagerOther
- FTICT Support OfficerNSW
- FTWeb Developer - VR 3D WebGL - Lake MacquarieNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst l GROUP LIFE INSURANCE l SydneyNSW
- FTJava Network DeveloperOther
- FTNetwork EngineerSA
- TPTechnical Business AnalystQLD
- FTHealthcare Integration Support/ Junior DBA - Brisbane BasedQLD
- FTUser Experience Specialist (UX)ACT
- FTDigital DesignerOther
- FTAnalyst ProgrammerOther
- FTVoice Solution Engineer - Telecommunications (cisco)Other
- FTPlatform/Technology Manager | Security & GovernanceOther
- FTLead Business Analyst, MortgagesOther
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTTest AnalystSA
- CCTechnical Delivery Lead - BillingVIC