Belkin Australia TuneCast Auto w/ClearScan
- ClearScan technology, all iPods with dock connector supported, PRO sound setting
- Can't run on batteries, only supports iPod units
We prefer the design of Belkin's TuneBase model, but the TuneCast Auto is still a worthy option boasting reasonable sound quality and the convenience of ClearScan technology.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
Boasting the ability to work with both the iPod and the yet to be released in Australia iPhone, Belkin's latest FM transmitter continues the use of ClearScan technology which automatically finds the clearest FM station.
Although FM transmitters don't offer the best sound quality, they are increasingly popular due to their relatively inexpensive asking price and the fact that they don't need to be installed into your vehicle.
The TuneCast Auto allows you to power, charge and listen to your iPod all through a single unit. Although we prefer the holder design of the TuneBase FM w/ClearScan, the TuneCast Auto provides more flexibility, as it can be used with any iPod with the standard dock connector. The simple design sees one end plug into your cigarette lighter socket and the other end to your iPod or iPhone. The downside to the design is that the TuneCast uses your car power to operate and can't run on batteries. If you don't have a working cigarette lighter socket, you're out of luck.
In the middle of the cable is a small, backlit LCD display along with the controls. Operation is simple and straightforward – plug the unit in to power it on, press the ClearScan button to display the best frequency and then match the frequency displayed to your car stereo. ClearScan is particularly convenient on long trips – if the frequency starts to drop out as you are driving you can simply press the button to search for a clearer frequency.
If ClearScan doesn't identify a frequency, the FM band may be too crowded. This could be an issue, though it depends on what area you are driving in. Alternatively, you can choose to manually select a frequency if you wish. Just find a clear frequency on your car stereo, and match it on the TuneCast Auto using the + and - buttons.
The TuneCast Auto features two presets (m1 and m2), as well as a PRO setting. PRO increases the average volume and transmits in mono instead of stereo. If you are struggling to receive a clear signal, this may help, though it's recommended for podcasts and audio books rather than music. There are three PRO settings which you can scroll through, but we found the normal sound setting worked fine during our tests. Like all of these units, sound quality isn't fantastic, but it's certainly good enough for the asking price.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Acer Predator Triton 300 SE review: Affordable GeForce RTX performance in a slim package
- 2 Jackery Explorer 1000 Portable Power Station review: Good for venturing off the grid
- 3 Razer Naga Trinity review: The last best MMO gaming mouse
- 4 Dynabook Portégé X30W-J – a very good all-rounder
- 5 Google Pixel 5 Review: Soft Reboot
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
- iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro: The cheapest way to get these new handsets in Australia
- How to download proof of Covid-19 vaccination to your smartphone in Australia
- TCL releases a sub-$300 5G smartphone in Australia
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies