Belkin Australia TuneBase FM for iPod nano
- Uses nano display for tuning, Good audio performance, Flexible Steel neck ensures good positioning, Four presets, Charges while playing
- Controls small and don’t light up
This is a fantastic unit with surprisingly good audio quality. Apart from some minor control issues, the TuneBase FM’s unique flexible neck ensures it is ahead of the competition.
Price$ 139.95 (AUD)
FM transmitters for iPods and other MP3 players have been on the market for some time now. Whilst they don't always offer the best sound quality due to the unstable FM frequency, they are seen as a way to play your music through your car or home stereo without spending extravagant amounts of money on wired systems.
Belkin are well known in this sector for their solid offerings and in the versatile TuneBase FM for the iPod nano they have produced an excellent device which allows you to power, charge and listen to your iPod in the car; all with a single unit. No wires, no fuss.
Connecting through any cigarette lighter port, the TuneBase FM utlises a convenient and innovative flexible steel neck, which means you can position your iPod however you like. While it sounds and looks extremely simple, how convenient and welcoming this design is won't be fully known until you actually use it. It's absolutely brilliant.
With other models, we used to sit our iPod in the centre console or glove box, meaning that changing songs involved a bit of effort (and might we add very dangerous when driving). With the TuneBase FM, the ability to have the iPod wherever you like for easy access is convenience personified. You can tilt it towards yourself or your passenger in any direction you like; whatever is most comfortable in your car. We can't praise this design enough.
The TuneBase doesn't have an LCD display itself; tuning the devive is done using the the iPod screen. The base where you connect your iPod houses the controls - four preset buttons and an Up/Down tuner is all that is needed. A plastic cover protrudes from the top of the base, protecting your Nano's connector port from being damaged and holding it securely in place. Using the TuneBase FM is as easy as selecting a frequency and tuning this frequency into your car stereo. If you tend to make plenty of long distance trips, our advice would be to store a few known frequencies into the TuneBase FM so you can easily change them if required.
We only have a couple of complaints with this unit and they centre around the control system. Firstly, when you are driving and using the TuneBase FM at night, the buttons do not light up - they aren't visible in the dark. We instead had to feel around to ensure we were pressing the right buttons and this is both annoying and a safety issue. Secondly, the controls themselves are a little small and require a firm press to activate, so those with large hands may have problems hitting the correct button. Also, if you are on a long trip and need to tune to a new FM frequency, holding the Up/Down buttons does not scroll through the frequencies quick enough for our liking.
Apart from these small issues, the rest of the unit is pretty spot on and the sound quality is good as well. We experienced no dramas in regards to reception and the TuneBase FM only ever dropped out twice. If you can select a solid and stable frequency, the TuneBase FM will deliver your tunes without any problems and its unique design will ensure it will be a welcome part of your driving experience.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Apple TV 4K review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCC++ Developer - Financial Services - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTManagement Consultant - ConsultancyOther
- FTFeature Team Lead - paying $725 per dayOther
- TPIT Cloud EngineerNSW
- FT.Net Developer- Active Baseline Clearance RequiredOther
- FTNetwork Support Engineer - HFC and FTTxOther
- TPProject Manager - IT SecurityQLD
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperQLD
- FTRigger TechniciansOther
- CCIntegration SpecialistNSW
- FTProject Manager - Rail Industry or Survey or Construction bkgrdOther
- FTSenior Strategy Specialist - Direct / ConsumerOther
- TPBusiness Improvement ManagerNSW
- FTIT Service Delivery ManagerOther
- FTICT TrainerOther
- CCSystems Analyst / Consultant ? SAPQLD
- TPProject Services - Support RolesACT
- CCMicrosoft Dynamics AX Project ManagerQLD
- FTTechnical Business AnalystACT
- FTSolution Manager - SAPOther
- FTCommunications ManagerOther
- FTWindows EngineerOther
- FTKofax Application DeveloperOther
- CCIntegration AnalystVIC
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerNSW