AVLabs MYTube (AVL340)
Versatile speaker dock with 7in LCD screen
- Built-in 7in display, versatile, USB reader, 3-in-1 memory card reader, composite in and out ports
- Dock inserts aren’t labelled, interference when used with iPhone, below average sound, below average display, poor remote
The AVLabs MYTube is a great example of a device that is a jack of all trades and a master of none.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
AV Labs’ MYTube iPod speaker system is great example of a device intended to be a jack of all trades. At the heart of this boombox is a 7in LCD screen. This versatile system also boasts composite video in and out sockets, a USB port and a flash card reader.
The design of this unit is very similar to the venerable iM7 — a cylindrical boombox-style design with the speakers on each end. The major difference is obviously the position of the LCD screen on the front and the iPod dock connector on the top. The MYTube is finished entirely in gloss black plastic and AVLabs has included dock inserts to fit most iPods. Strangely these aren’t labelled, so it can take a bit of fiddling to find the one you need.
The AVL340 supports all iPods with a dock connector, including the iPod classic and iPod touch. There is no support for the iPhone 3G listed on the sales package, but it still works regardless, as does the original iPhone. Unfortunately, iPhone owners should still look elsewhere — we experienced plenty of interference and you can only prevent this if you put the phone into airplane mode. Despite iPod connectivity being the main appeal here, a line-in port at the rear of the MYTube allows you to plug any portable music player into the unit.
Performance, depending on what mode you are using the system in, ranges from mediocre to average. Sound quality is disappointing considering both the size and the price tag of this unit — in particular bass is virtually nonexistent and there is little depth or clarity to the overall sound. There are also no bass or treble adjustment options, so you’ll have to rely on your iPod equaliser.
The 7in screen is admirable, but we have to question its inclusion considering that this unit can’t run on batteries — it isn’t portable and needs AC power. For iPod video owners the larger display may be useful, but iPhone and iPod touch owners would be best playing videos on the devices themselves rather than the MYTube. The quality of the display is average and the only real benefit of using this system for video is a boost in sound.
The 3-in-1 memory card and USB readers are useful inclusions, but the poor quality of the display means it isn’t ideal for photos. It would be best to stick with a digital photo frame if you are after a device to display images. The USB reader is handy for those who have music or video files stored on a USB key — but again, the quality of both video and audio is below average, so keep this in mind. It also takes a while for photos and videos to load off memory cards and USB sticks — sometimes almost a minute.
The rear of the unit houses a line-in jack, headphone jack and power-in jack and it also includes composite AV in and out jacks. This means you can connect the MYTube to a television or projector, and you can also connect other devices (such as video cameras) to the unit in order to utilise the display. Rounding out the package is a remote control, but we found it to be a hit and miss affair. At times it worked fine, but at other times it was unresponsive and often required a few presses before it responded.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Which 2018 Smart Speaker Should I Buy
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSenior Network Security EngineerVIC
- FTSAP Test AnalystsACT
- FTProject Officer / Project Scheduler - Gold Coast BasedOther
- FTSenior Consultant - .NET DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Project ManagerQLD
- FTProject Administrator/CoordinatorSA
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTApplication Support ManagerOther
- FTProject ManagerOther
- FTNetwork Architect - Brisbane/PerthOther
- FTSignalling Project ManagerWA
- FTiOS DeveloperWA
- FTSenior Desktop Support OfficerVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager - Global MarketsOther
- CCDigital ArchitectQLD
- FTDesktop Support Engineer - Onsite - UrgentOther
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - PEGAOther
- FTNetwork AdministratorVIC
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Identity Access ManagementQLD
- FTWeb DeveloperQLD
- CCLevel 1 / 2 Desktop Support - BrisbaneVIC
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect ? Azure Cloud InfrastructureQLD
- CCDevOps EngineerVIC
- FTNetwork Operator - Order Support CentreOther