Avira Premium Security Suite 8.2
An Internet security suite that excels where it counts.
- Successfully identified all the active and inactive rootkit samples
- A number of other suites are easier to use, cleaned up only four out of nine active rootkits
If you're a more technically inclined user willing to figure out a few things on your own, and you want the best malware detection available, Avira Premium Security Suite 8.2 might be a fine choice for you. But a number of other suites are easier to use. And if you fear that you already have a rootkit on your system, this is not the suite to buy.
Price$ 72.72 (AUD)
Avira Premium Security Suite 8.2 is an Internet security suite that excels where it counts. This package beat all the 2009 security suites in detection tests, continuing Avira's long history of strong performance in such tests.
While detection ability is critical, it is not the sole component of a security suite. And Avira Premium Security Suite 8.2's somewhat clunky interface (which feels suited to a more technical user), combined with its lack of a parental-control feature, knocked it down in our rankings to fourth place.
Avira Premium Security Suite 8.2 shone in tests conducted by AV-Test.org, a German antivirus testing lab that partners with PC World to evaluate antivirus applications. Put up against 654,914 Trojan horses, password stealers, and other malware, it successfully identified an impressive 99.2 percent of the threats. In catching aggravating adware, it was an even stronger enforcer, tagging 99.6 percent.
The sweep continued in heuristic tests designed to simulate how an antivirus app might deal with new, unknown malware. In tests with two-week-old signature files, Avira Premium Security Suite 8.2 identified 55.3 percent of the samples, a top showing.
Avira's suite successfully identified all the active and inactive rootkit samples. But in a surprising about-face, the suite cleaned up only four out of nine active rootkits, a last-place finish for that task. While the suite would likely prevent a rootkit from installing on your PC, if one already existed on your machine, these tests show that the suite probably wouldn't be able to scrub it away.
The scan speed was good. The Avira Premium Security Suite 8.2 is good at on-access scan speed, which comes into play whenever you save or open a file. And it's no slouch at on-demand scan speed, for scheduled and manually run scans.
Avira Premium Security Suite 8.2 needs no boost in detecting malware, but its interface could use some polish. Techies will quickly recognise terms such as ‘Local protection', but typical users might not know off the bat that it refers to your computer, as opposed to a remote server or network connection. And the program uses many small icons to indicate scans and other tasks, so you'll have to move your mouse over the icons constantly to get the description of what each does.
Also, the interface divides settings into a basic view and an expert mode, a clunky approach that most other suites avoid. The basic view hides a lot of settings; if you want to access any of the configuration settings for the antispam Mailguard, for example, you'll have to okay a prompt to enter expert mode. Say no, and you won't see any of that feature's options.
Avira Premium Security Suite 8.2's antispam feature also stands out as the only one we tested that didn't add a toolbar to Outlook or any other email applications for dealing with spam. Instead, you must open the suite to label messages as spam, approve others as not spam, or handle related functions.
Avira Premium Security Suite 8.2 does offer a decent backup feature. You can choose one or more directories or drives to back up, select a destination for the backups, and pick from many scheduling options, including daily, weekly, or whenever you connect a particular USB storage device.
Avira Premium Security Suite 8.2 also has good information in its help files, and pop-ups are generally clear and informative. But if you have a question that the built-in help can't answer, you're stuck sending an email and waiting for a response; the German company doesn't offer UK phone support.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBusiness Systems Analyst - HR SystemsOther
- CCCognos/Datastage DeveloperQLD
- TPSenior/Principal Business Analyst - TransformationQLD
- FTNet DeveloperOther
- FTProject CoordinatorACT
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Workbrain Functional Expert - Brisbane BasedNSW
- FTNetwork AdministratorOther
- CCMobile DeveloperNSW
- CCProject SAP Asset CoordinatorNSW
- FTIntegration Specialist / DeveloperQLD
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- CCSite Acquisition CoordinatorNSW
- FTRPA Tech LeadVIC
- FTSenior Change AnalystOther
- FTProject OfficerOther
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTEnterprise Architect - ApplicationsOther
- CCSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Development DBA - OracleNSW
- FTClient PrincipalOther
- CCLinux AdministratorNSW
- FTSales / Account ManagerOther