Avira Premium Security Suite 8.0
Version 8 of Avira Premium Security Suite features a host of updates.
- Impressive antimalware capabilities
- Slow spam filter, not very smart
Avira Premium Security Suite 8.0 is undoubtedly first-class at detecting malware but the AV game has moved on when it comes to factors such as usability, intelligence and hardware footprint. It's now looking relatively dated and awkward to use.
Price$ 71.50 (AUD)
Version 8 of Avira Premium Security Suite features a host of updates, including an improved UI plus several new features, including drive-by download, botnet attack and malicious download protection, not to mention a backup system.
All this is included in Avira Premium Security Suite 8.0 on top of the usual security suite features, such as antivirus and -spyware, firewall, antiphishing and antispam.
Avira Premium Security Suite 8.0's antimalware capabilities continue to impress. The combined virus and spyware protection scans files on demand, on access and on schedule; it also scans incoming and outgoing email.
In the most recent AV-comparatives.org tests, Avira Premium Security Suite 8.0 did very well indeed - in a 2.3m virus test, it came out top, detecting an impressive 99.6 percent, better than Norton AntiVirus's 99 percent score. Its scanning speed was also graded as 'Advanced +', again, a most creditable score. Since then, its scanning speed has been further enhanced, by up to 20% according to Avira. We can vouch for the fact that it is quite nippy.
Avira Premium Security Suite 8.0's antispam doesn't integrate with your email client per se but filters incoming POP3 email anyway. You can train it, by highlighting mis-identified spam emails - and you can set up whitelists, too.
Our ‘spam magnet' email address had more than 8,000 junk emails but it took Avira Premium Security Suite 8.0 a couple of seconds on average to process each one, which is tediously slow. It was, however, fairly accurate, with less than 2 percent of spam ending up in my Windows Mail Inbox - and almost all of that was correctly labelled as spam.
On inbound network traffic, Avira Premium Security Suite 8.0's firewall is as good as but not better than the one that's built-in for Windows. On outbound traffic it pre-approves certain known executables but you have to approve the unknowns, which can be a chore. It also seemed slow to respond when applications seek internet access.
There are a couple of new features that caught our eye. The first is the ability to download a bootable ISO image of an Avira Rescue CD and burn it to disc — handy to have in a crisis. The Avira Premium Security Suite 8.0 backup facility is rudimentary to say the least; however it does have one redeeming feature. Thanks to the modern miracle that is Plug'n'Play, you can trigger a backup simply by plugging in a USB drive.
The trouble with Avira Premium Security Suite 8.0 is that by modern standards it's not very smart — every time it detects malware, or a new program tries to access the internet, it asks you what you want to do, so it can be a bit of a pest. Best of breed AV software automatically makes intelligent decisions on your behalf.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
- Radeon Vega Frontier Edition: Benchmarks and behind-the-scenes AMD interview
- Hands-on: AMD's Radeon Vega Frontier Edition vs Nvidia Titan Xp
- The 10 best Android apps for Chromebooks
- This week in games: Homeworld's lost expansion returns, 15 minutes of Beyond Good & Evil 2
- Kogan Agora 8 phone: Full, in-depth review
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTData Analytics & Visualisation Analyst - SQL, TABLEAU, VBAOther
- TPPMO ManagerQLD
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- CCMultiple Project Managers - Networks - TelcoVIC
- CCGen System AnalystNSW
- FTClient Onboarding ManagerNSW
- FTService Desk EngineerNSW
- FTManager - Program Management Office (PMO)Other
- FTSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTPHP Developer / Software EngineerNSW
- CCAudio-Visual DesignerVIC
- CCSenior IT Project ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTWintel Infrastructure EngineerACT
- FTProgram CoordinatorOther
- FTPractice Director Project Management – Adelaide Delivery CentreSA
- FTSales Client Services Manager (Mid-market)QLD
- FTITIL Change Management SpecialistOther
- FTOffice & Operations AdministratorNSW
- CCPeoplesoft campus solution consultant/TesterNSW
- FTAndroid Developer - PermanentWA
- FTManual Test AnalystQLD
- FTApplication Support Lead l Experience with health applicationsNSW
- TPSenior Business Intelligence AnalystQLD
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD