Avira Premium Internet Security Suite 10
Avira Premium Internet Security Suite 10: Left behind lots of inert malware remnants
- Good malware detection
- Significantly slows system performance; Left behind lots of inert malware remnants
Avira AntiVir is very good at blocking known malware, but it left behind more malware remnants than most other products we tested.
Price$ 49.19 (AUD)
Users looking for a free antimalware product to protect themselves have long enjoyed Avira, which is available in a no-cost version for personal use, but which subjects you to a single daily pop-up urging you to buy the full suite.
Upgrading to the paid Avira AntiVir Premium Security Suite adds a passel of extra features—anti-spam, an included firewall, and parental controls, to name just a few—but the core malware detection and removal system is the same.
The Avira interface is a matter of personal taste. Some users will find its simplicity refreshing, while others may feel its lack of hand-holding and plain English explanations are off-putting. Avira offers two configuration systems: The standard mode should be plenty for most and provides more than enough tweakability. Or you can check the "Expert mode" box - easy to overlook - and delve into the minutiae of the software. Here's where Avira can really get obtuse, but unless you're really concerned about, say, limiting the size of Avira's log file, Expert mode has nothing that most users will need to worry about.
The good news is that Avira requires minimal to no extra configuration work in order to fully protect yourself: Avira's default settings will be absolutely fine for most users, and only if you find yourself needing to manually scan a file or your PC should you ever really need to open Avira's control panel at all.
The even better news is that, based on our testing, Avira does a top-notch job at keeping you safe and sound. Across the board, Avira turned in very good numbers, blocking 99.0 percent of known malware, and fully stopping 21 of 25 of real-world attacks (it partially blocked an additional 2 attacks). Avira is also quite fast at scanning. It was the second-fastest on-demand scanner and the fourth-fastest on-access scanner among the 13 applications we tested. That said, it put a bigger dent in overall system performance than most other suites.
We did encounter a couple of sore spots. While Avira did a very good job at disinfecting active malware components, it left behind more remnants (inert malware files, registry keys, and so forth) than many of the other suites we tested did. Avira also lost points in the realm of false positives: The software's dynamic malware detection engine (which identifies malware based on how it acts on your PC) blocked a full 10 percent of safe (yet suspicious) applications in our tests. In daily use, you can see Avira's overzealousness quite readily: It blocks just about every AutoRun application it encounters, whether on an optical disc or a thumb drive. Making matters worse, there's no readily apparent way to stop this behavior.
Though Avira is overall a competent and easy-to-use antimalware application that offers set-it-and-forget-it functionality, these issues lowered its score.
Join the newsletter!
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
cloudandco Smart Cane
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Toys for Boys
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Bose SoundLink Micro
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Xbox One X
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- CES 2018: Google Assistant To Come To Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt
- Keep Watch Day and Night with Uniden’s Two-In-One Camera and Spotlight
- McAfee Labs Previews Five Cybersecurity Trends for 2018
- Man charged in Yahoo hacking case to plead guilty
- Uber confirms massive 2016 data breach
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTPenetration TesterNSW
- CCChange Analyst-TransformationNSW
- FTICT Solution Architect - Canberra OpportunityVIC
- TPAndroid DeveloperQLD
- CCFunctional Business Analyst ? CanberraACT
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperQLD
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTUX DesignerOther
- TPBusiness Analyst - ieMRQLD
- FTChange Lead - 12 Month Contract!Other
- FTiOS DeveloperOther
- CCSenior System Engineer l Office 365,Windows 10, VMWare WorkspaceNSW
- TPPrincipal Business AnalystQLD
- CCTechnical Consultant - FortifyACT
- FTFull Stack Developer - ASP.NETVIC
- FTDevOps ManagerOther
- FTReporting AnalystQLD
- CCGenesys ConsultantACT
- TPPHP and PL/SQL SupportNSW
- TPBusiness Process Improvement AnalystQLD
- FTNetwork Technical Specialist L3 x 2 ? Large Telco ? 6 month contract initiallyNSW
- CCRegulatory Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Change ManagerACT
- CCUser Experience DesignerVIC