Avira Premium Internet Security Suite 10
Avira Premium Internet Security Suite 10: Left behind lots of inert malware remnants
- Good malware detection
- Significantly slows system performance; Left behind lots of inert malware remnants
Avira AntiVir is very good at blocking known malware, but it left behind more malware remnants than most other products we tested.
Price$ 49.19 (AUD)
Users looking for a free antimalware product to protect themselves have long enjoyed Avira, which is available in a no-cost version for personal use, but which subjects you to a single daily pop-up urging you to buy the full suite.
Upgrading to the paid Avira AntiVir Premium Security Suite adds a passel of extra features—anti-spam, an included firewall, and parental controls, to name just a few—but the core malware detection and removal system is the same.
The Avira interface is a matter of personal taste. Some users will find its simplicity refreshing, while others may feel its lack of hand-holding and plain English explanations are off-putting. Avira offers two configuration systems: The standard mode should be plenty for most and provides more than enough tweakability. Or you can check the "Expert mode" box - easy to overlook - and delve into the minutiae of the software. Here's where Avira can really get obtuse, but unless you're really concerned about, say, limiting the size of Avira's log file, Expert mode has nothing that most users will need to worry about.
The good news is that Avira requires minimal to no extra configuration work in order to fully protect yourself: Avira's default settings will be absolutely fine for most users, and only if you find yourself needing to manually scan a file or your PC should you ever really need to open Avira's control panel at all.
The even better news is that, based on our testing, Avira does a top-notch job at keeping you safe and sound. Across the board, Avira turned in very good numbers, blocking 99.0 percent of known malware, and fully stopping 21 of 25 of real-world attacks (it partially blocked an additional 2 attacks). Avira is also quite fast at scanning. It was the second-fastest on-demand scanner and the fourth-fastest on-access scanner among the 13 applications we tested. That said, it put a bigger dent in overall system performance than most other suites.
We did encounter a couple of sore spots. While Avira did a very good job at disinfecting active malware components, it left behind more remnants (inert malware files, registry keys, and so forth) than many of the other suites we tested did. Avira also lost points in the realm of false positives: The software's dynamic malware detection engine (which identifies malware based on how it acts on your PC) blocked a full 10 percent of safe (yet suspicious) applications in our tests. In daily use, you can see Avira's overzealousness quite readily: It blocks just about every AutoRun application it encounters, whether on an optical disc or a thumb drive. Making matters worse, there's no readily apparent way to stop this behavior.
Though Avira is overall a competent and easy-to-use antimalware application that offers set-it-and-forget-it functionality, these issues lowered its score.
Join the newsletter!
Bringing VR out of office and study spaces will serve to help it attract the new audiences it needs to continue growing
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- New study finds IT professionals lack confidence in their ability to detect and contain cyber breaches
- New ATR Findings: Hidden Cobra Targets Financial Sector
- McAfee Launches Industry’s Most Comprehensive Cloud Security Solution for Microsoft Azure
- D-Link ANZ Partners Exclusively with AVSystem for Zero-Touch Device Management in Australia and New Zealand
- Intel tells customers to stop rolling out faulty patches
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- ASUS ROG Zephyrus M review: Leaner and meaner
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- Picture Perfect: OPPO prepare their boldest smartphone yet
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCIOS DeveloperNSW
- FTPronto Systems Support SpecialistVIC
- TPEnterprise/Service Architect - Service Management ExperienceQLD
- CCDeveloper - DeliveryNSW
- CCSenior Node.js DeveloperQLD
- FTPeoplesoft HCM Application DeveloperACT
- FTCCNA Network EngineerOther
- CCSAP ArchiectNSW
- CCPlatform ArchitectVIC
- TPPrincipal Solution Architect | CloudQLD
- FTNetwork AdministratorVIC
- FTBusiness Systems AnalystOther
- FTAndroid Developer - 6 Month ContractOther
- TPBusiness Analyst - Health PASQLD
- FTStakeholder Engagement Lead x2 (Land Access)Other
- FTSenior Data ModellerNSW
- CCMid Level, Project Manager, Sydney CBD, 12 month contractNSW
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect ? NetworkingQLD
- FTTester (Dynamics AX)Other
- CCScrum Master - Online DigitalVIC
- CCWindows Desk Migration EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Software Engineer, Full Stack, Sydney CBD, Java, .NET, Angular, Web APINSW
- FTApplication Support SpecialistOther
- CCSenior Solution Architect - Brisbane locationVIC
- CCDevops EngineerQLD