Avira Antivir Personal
Avira AntiVir Personal offers great, thorough protection and top-notch scan speed, but some nontechies might find its interface frustrating.
- Excellent detection and disinfection, top-notch scan speed
- Interface is unfriendly to novices, daily pop-up ads for paid version
Some less-than-friendly default behaviours make Avira AntiVir Personal a better choice for tech-savvy users who know how to muck about in the settings. If you're willing to put up with a somewhat clumsy interface and the recurring pop-up ads, in return you'll enjoy top-notch, free protection against malware. It's not a bad trade-off by any means.
Avira AntiVir Personal's excellent malware detection, disinfection, and scan speed earned it the top spot in our ranking of free antivirus software. Its interface could be better, though, and using the app means putting up with daily pop-up ads.
In AV-Test.org tests, AntiVir's 98.9 percent overall malware detection rate was unbeaten. AntiVir was also tops in proactive-protection tests that use two- and four-week-old signature databases to simulate the detection of new, unknown malware, with rates of 52.7 percent and 45.5 percent, respectively.
The strong performance continued in disinfection tests. Avira Antivir Personal found and disarmed all of the rootkits and other malware infections tossed at it, though (like all the free antivirus software we tested) it tended to leave some remnants, such as relatively harmless Registry changes, in place.
Avira Antivir Personal was not just the most thorough free tool we tested, but also the fastest. It led in speed tests for both on-demand scans (which you schedule or start manually) and on-access scans (which happen automatically during tasks such as copying files).
If Avira Antivir Personal's interface were as polished as its malware-fighting ability, it would be a no-brainer recommendation. But its daily pop-up ads for Avira's paid ID-theft protection software could easily annoy many users, and at times its interface feels better suited to advanced users.
For example, Avira Antivir Personal's installer prompts you to select among ‘extended threat categories'. Some are obvious, such as games or jokes, but you might be forgiven for not knowing whether to pick ‘unusual runtime compression' (listed in Avira's online help as ‘Files that have been compressed using an unusual tool and are therefore suspicious').
In a similar vein, Avira Antivir Personal's detection pop-ups offer too many choices and don't suggest the option most appropriate for the average user. It checks the ‘Deny access' option by default, but that choice would leave the discovered malware sitting on your PC; you would continue to receive warnings until you opted to delete or quarantine the discovery (you can also choose to rename or ignore the file).
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Wanawiki is the WannaCry fix that might save affected PCs—if you work fast
- Digital signature service DocuSign hacked and email addresses stolen
- The WannaCry ransomware might have a link to North Korea
- Paying the WannaCry ransom will probably get you nothing. Here's why.
- WannaCry attacks are only the beginning
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSecurity TesterNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst, BankingOther
- CCCloud Engineer - Multiple roles - AWS/AzureVIC
- FTProgramme ManagerACT
- FTLead Business Analyst, MortgagesOther
- FTLead API DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperWA
- FTSenior Software EngineerACT
- FTSecurity Engineer (IPS & Firewall exp essential) - Perm - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- TPDemand Analysis ManagerNSW
- FTDigital ProducerOther
- FTEnterprise Architect - Network and TelecommunicationsOther
- CCPerformance TesterNSW
- FTSolution Architect - CloudQLD
- FTDirector ICT Programme Management Office – Adelaide Delivery CentreSA
- TPSAP TrainerACT
- TPData Analyst/MungerVIC
- TPFull Stack PHP / Web DeveloperQLD
- CC.Net DeveloperWA
- FTService Desk EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystSA
- CCSenior Drupal DeveloperNSW
- FTData Analytics & Visualisation Analyst - SQL, TABLEAU, VBAOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystSA
- CCBMC Remedy Business AnalystVIC