AVG Internet Security 8.5
AVG Internet Security Version 8.5, has been steadily building a solid following for its protection products.
- Interface is clean and straightforward, good results during rootkit tests
- AVG Firewall displayed a high learning curve, scored below average in pro-actively identifying unknown malware
AVG Internet Security 8.5 did very well with traditional and zoo malware, but it didn't do so well using just heuristics, missing the 2- and 4-week old signature file tests. Still, for the money, AVG Internet Security 8.5 is a good value that will do a strong job at protecting your computer.
Price$ 89.99 (AUD)
Unlike some security vendors, AVG Internet Security 8.5 allows you to opt in to various partnerships (as opposed to opting out), such as the Yahoo Search box, during installation.
AVG Internet Security 8.5 has other strengths beyond its opt-in policy, of course. Like the CheckPoint ZoneAlarm Extreme Security suite, AVG walks you through the setup and configuration process with a few helpful tutorial screens. It also stays within its core competencies, offering various shields for email filtering, website filtering, spam filtering, and so forth.
Using its own malware detection engine, AVG Internet Security 8.5 did superbly in both the on-demand and on-access detection of 2735 malware files, macro viruses, and scripts, scoring 100 percent against each.
And AVG Internet Security 8.5 did well against the 722,372 collected samples of Trojan horses, worms, password-stealers, and other nasties, identifying 95 percent of samples on average. This placed the suite high among the security suites tested.
AVG Internet Security 8.5 removed 80 percent of the malware files and Registry changes that malware had put in place, but it failed to scrub test infections from 40 percent of the Registry.
It detected 100 percent of inactive rootkits (stealth malware used to hide infections from PC users and security software alike), detected 90 percent of the active ones, and removed eight out of nine active rootkits. Those results still put AVG Internet Security 8.5 among the best we've tested.
Through its acquisition of Sana Security, AVG says it has improved its behavioural-based malware detection, since it can now monitor up to 290 distinct behaviours to determine whether a file's activity is malicious.
However, this technology didn't work as AVG might have hoped in our tests: overall, AVG earned slightly-below-average scores for behaviour-based detection of malware. In detection, AVG Internet Security 8.5 produced a warning 53 percent of the time, and detected and blocked 33 percent of the malware, but removed only 20 percent.
In pro-actively identifying unknown malware for which it doesn't yet have a signature, AVG Internet Security 8.5 scored below average. In tests using 2-week-old signature files, it identified only 37 percent of samples.
And on four-week-old signature files, it identified only 30 percent. On the positive side, AVG Internet Security 8.5 responds fairly quickly to new widespread malware attacks, typically within 4-6 hours according to AV-Test. However, AVG signature updates per month were low; the company issued only 50 in January 2009, 58 in February 2009, and 58 in March 2009, for an average of 1.9 per day, compared with more than 200 per day from Norton.
AVG scans archive files on demand by default, and AV-Test reported somewhat long on demand scan times of up to 88 seconds on a 741MB file, with on-access scans of 65 seconds, compared with only 41 seconds to copy the same file on a system without antivirus installed.
AVG Internet Security 8.5 scans email for viruses, and provides IM protection as well. Antispam protection comes from MailShell. For antiphishing, AVG uses a combination of sources, including the Anti-Phishing Working Group and Phishtank. The real web protection, however, comes from LinkScanner, a tool that looks for and scrubs malicious content from Web sites before it hits your browser.
In our informal use tests, the behaviour-based AVG Firewall displayed a high learning curve; it requested permission for every internet-facing application, a process that gets tiresome and invasive quickly. By comparison, ZoneAlarm recognises many popular programs, eliminating unnecessary messages.
Overall the AVG Internet Security 8.5 interface is clean and straightforward. Want to know more about the firewall, for instance? Click the Firewall icon to see configuration settings.
Join the newsletter!
Apple iPhone X
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Xbox One X
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Uber confirms massive 2016 data breach
- D-Link Adds Android Support and Launches Updated App for Omna 180 Cam HD
- Monitoring the home has become more flexible with Uniden’s App Cam Solo
- ESET works with Google to halt dangerous malware
- Cybersecurity is a Shared Responsibility, Warns ESET
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)Other
- FTSAP PSCD Analyst and PSCD FunctionalistOther
- FTProduct Support ManagerVIC
- TPBusiness Intelligence AnalystQLD
- CCInfrastructure ArchitectNSW
- FTIT Support & System AdministratorNSW
- FTSystems Engineer (data centre)Other
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- FTMitel Unified Communication engineer.ACT
- FTSenior Front End Developer - (Urgent)Other
- FTUX Designer | Mobile ApplicationsOther
- FTAxiomSL Technical ConsultantOther
- FTTIBCO iProcess LeadOther
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)QLD
- FTProject Engineer, Operational Infrastructure & TelcoOther
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTBusiness Information Security Officer (BISO)NSW
- FTSalesforce Platform LeadOther
- CCTechnical Team Lead/Application Developer Team Lead - Government OrganisationVIC
- TPBusiness Process AnalystNSW
- FTSolution Architect/Designer - Telecom IndustryOther
- CCPega ArchitectVIC
- CCProject Manager - DeliveryNSW
- FTProject ManagerACT