AVG Technologies AU Internet Security 8.0
Three years since version 7
- Light system footprint
- Attempts to install Yahoo toolbar
AVG Internet Security 8.0 is a long overdue update to v7.5. It’s easier to use and more effective but still has one or two rough edges. It still demands a degree of user intervention not found in its 'fit and forget' rivals. Even so, it remains a top-tier security bundle. If you’ve already bought AVG 7.x you can upgrade to the latest version for nothing.
Price$ 69.95 (AUD)
Doesn't time fly? Can it really be three years since AVG 7.0 was released? That's an eternity in PC time and so the release of its successor was well in to injury time. But now AVG 8.0 is out and is now available in a variety of bundle permutations, ranging from $70 to $100, the most expensive being the AVG Internet Security 8.0 version. Apart from anti-virus, this bundle also includes anti-spyware, anti-spam, firewall and rootkit protection.
The most obvious change in AVG Internet Security 8.0 is the new, pastel blue UI, which is a vast improvement over its dated, clunky predecessor. As is the norm these days, the UI comprises an array of module icons, a dozen in this case, each marked by a green status tick when all is well. At the side are just three tabs, Overview, which brings up the module status screen, Computer Scanner, and Update now, which are self-explanatory. In use, AVG IS 8.0 has a light system footprint.
You'll come across one irritation when you install the program. It seems that AVG has got into bed with Yahoo and wants to install the Yahoo toolbar - and change your default search engine too. While you can disable this 'feature', we don't like seeing this sort of thing in retail software. It may be fine in the free version but not here.
Aside from that, installation is smooth and once the updates have been applied (this version updates four times a day) AVG Internet Security 8.0 does a quick scan of your system, scanning for malware and spyware simultaneously. As before it offers on-access, on-demand and scheduled scanning. AVG Internet Security 8.0 continues to garner top scores from the likes of Virus Bulletin, West Coast Labs and ICSA so we have no doubts as to its continued efficacy.
The firewall uses an automatic multi-profile system which should minimise user intervention and offers a good level of protection. But we got pestered to approve Internet connections for a couple of days after installation, which niggled.
The new LinkScanner web protection works much like McAfee's SiteAdvisor, issuing alerts when you visit a dodgy site and flagging search results with ticks or crosses depending on their cleanliness.
Each site is scanned 'live' and so the status mark can take a few seconds to appear. Spam email is automatically tagged as such and moved to a junk folder. Interestingly it supports Real-time Blackhole Lists (RBLs), such as Spamhaus or Spamcop, which helps eliminate a lot of spoofed spam
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - TelcoVIC
- CCSecurity Business AnalystNSW
- TPIT Training OfficerQLD
- CCTransport EngineerVIC
- FTIntegration and Implementation SpecialistVIC
- FTNetwork EngineerQLD
- FTDatabase Engineer (Oracle)ACT
- FTSales Lead - Healthcare systemsVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTSalesforce Marketing ConsultantNSW
- CCSolution Designer with PEGA experience- TelcoVIC
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- CCGun Java/ Full Stack Developer wanted...VIC
- FTSenior Marketing Manager | Global Technology CompanyNSW
- FTSenior Activations Performance Analyst | $700pdVIC
- CCProgram ManagerVIC
- FTLevel 3 Service Desk Support Engineer / Project ManagerQLD
- CCDevOps Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksWA
- FTSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW
- TPDigital Process Business Analyst - Digital Transformation**NSW
- FTTest CoordinatorACT
- FTPeopleSoft Technical Campus Solution DeveloperNSW
- FTUX / UI Designer MobileNSW