Avermedia AverTV DVB-T Volar
- HD recording issues, Timeshift is clunky
The Volar is handy for a notebook, and it's inexpensive. Its tuner found all the digital channels and displayed them with good signal strength, but it was let down by its software. It needs more convenient time-shifting capabilities and the ability to record HD programs with audio.
Price$ 105.00 (AUD)
If you want an external digital TV tuner for your notebook, AverMedia's AverTV DVB-T Volar is the smallest we have seen, but it fails to satisfy in many areas.
Physically, it's a USB 2.0 device, around the size of a lighter. After prolonged use, it doesn't heat up too much, and it has a blue power LED. It works well enough so that you can enjoy watching SD or HD programs, but AverMedia's AverTV software can be frustrating to use.
Changing channels took a few seconds (likewise, it took a few seconds to start recording programs), and the channel list was not easily accessible by right-clicking. HD recording was also flawed with this program. The picture was captured without any sound. This is despite us installing the latest version of AverTV (184.108.40.206). SD programs were recorded with sound and played back in Windows Media Player.
Time-shifting has to be activated before you can pause live TV and is not well implemented. Once it's enabled you are unable to change channels until you disable it.
The scheduler allows you to easily record programs in a once-off, daily or weekly frequency. You can also set the program to record in silent mode, which means the program will record in the background. This is helpful if you don't want to be disturbed while you're using your computer for other things. Conversely, you can set AverTV to be your desktop background, but only if you don't mind watching TV with icons scattered in front of the screen.
Join the newsletter!
Brought to you by Norton Symantec
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Ballistix Launches Tactical Tracer RGB DDR4 Gaming Memory
- Logitech G Unveils New PC Gaming Speaker and Mechanical Keyboard With LightSync
- Western Digital Ups The Game With Powerful New Gaming SSD
- Razer Goliathus Soft Mouse Mat Now Powered By Razer Chroma
- HyperX Partner with Sydney Swans
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- ASUS ROG Zephyrus M review: Leaner and meaner
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- Picture Perfect: OPPO prepare their boldest smartphone yet
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCiOS Developer - Brisbane locationOther
- CCMultiple Java Developer roles!NSW
- CCSENIOR PROJECT MANAGER - INFRASTRUCTURENSW
- CCJunior Project ManagerVIC
- FTJunior BA x 2Other
- CCTechnical BA - BI/DatawarehouseNSW
- FTHelp-desk Support AnalystOther
- CCSenior Software Engineer, Full Stack, Sydney CBD, Java, .NET, Angular, Web APINSW
- CCInfrastructure Architect - IT ArchitectVIC
- FTSAP ABAP (CRM)/ UI5 DevelopersOther
- TPLotus Notes DeveloperQLD
- FTHealthcare TesterVIC
- FTProject ManagerOther
- CCHealth & Safety Project OfficerNSW
- FTIT Sales/Account Manager - EducationNSW
- FTTechnical Quality LeadVIC
- FTSAP IS-U and SAP EWM - Greenfield implementationVIC
- FTDigital Business AnalystOther
- FTSenior AX Developer / Team LeadOther
- FTSenior Checkpoint Security EngineerOther
- FTSolutions ArchitectOther
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Project CoordinatorOther
- FTCyber Security Solution ArchitectOther