Avatec 37in LCD TV
- Incredible value, well defined image
- Reflective glass screen is distracting, some colour shift noticed.
Quality panel with a low RRP
Price$ 2,790.00 (AUD)
Over the past year, the demand for high quality LCD screens has surpassed the demand for plasma displays and much of this can be attributed to the fact that LCD prices are finally dropping to a viable mark for consumers. Avatec, a local distributor of LCD panels, have recently released a series of LCDs at competitive price points that should satisfy the average buyer.
The 37" Avatec LCD TV is a high quality display and is one of the cheapest available LCD's on the market today. The features of the display include high-definition support (up to 720p natively), quality component and VGA inputs, Picture in Picture, virtual surround sound and an internal analogue tuner. While these are standard features for an LCD panel, it is the low advertised price that makes this is an astute purchase.
The design of the Avatec TV is simple, although the logo on the front maybe too prominent and distract users from the screen. There is a protective glass layer covering the front of the panel, which looks very attractive when the screen is off, although we noticed reflected ambient light to be distracting when the panel was switched on. This issue may be avoided by directing room lighting away from the display. The connections, located at the back of the panel, provide a sufficient interface for high definition signal, with a Y-Pb-Pr input and an XGA input for computer use. Other connections include 2 audio RCA inputs, 2 composite and S-Video inputs and an RCA audio out.
Configuration of the panel is simple, as it should be. Tuning channels, selecting input video source and other general controls can only be accessed through the remote control. Plugging in a HD input such as a HD set-top box or DVD revealed the 5 modes of display, including Fill Screen, 4:3, Wide, Cinema and subtitle. For 16:9 video, such as that of a DVD, we found Cinema and subtitle to be the best options, as there was no clipping of the image and subtitles were easily read in both modes. Internal sound support is limited by the two 5 watt speakers, providing reasonable stereo and virtual sound, but nothing close to the sound fidelity an external 5.1 speaker system.
The image itself is very clear and well defined. The Avatec display excels in its bright image (advertised at 500 nits), and resolution (native at 1366 x 768). Plugging a 16:9 computer source into the display also revealed a quality signal, a bonus for computer gamers and home-theatre PC enthusiasts. The viewable angle for the display is advertised at 176 degrees in the horizontal and vertical direction. This is accurate, although we did notice some discolouration towards the wider angles. This colour shift was noticed primarily in imagery consisting of a gradient of similar colours. The contrast ratio, rated at 500:1, is quite standard for LCD TV's.
In all, Avatec's 37" LCD TV is an impressive option for consumers looking towards the larger sized LCD screens. It offers similar, if not better performance than some other well known LCD manufacturers and that too at the lowest RRP we have seen yet. Users' looking for LCD's larger than 37" might want to look up the Avatec name early in 2006.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 4 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung Announces New 2018 Television Lineup
- Samsung’s Next TV is a Real Frame-Changer
- CES 2018: Hisense's 2018 TV Lineup Is 'A Whole Other Story' For Australians
- CES 2018: Everything Announced At Sony's Press Conference
- CES 2018: Everything Announced At Samsung's Press Conference
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- Five 2017 flagship smartphones that are now less than $900
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- TPProject ManagerACT
- TPEL1 Data AnalystACT
- CCSharePoint 2013 DeveloperVIC
- TPDigital ProducerVIC
- FTService Asset & Configuration ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Java Developer / IntegratorQLD
- CCOperations Reporting AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Insight AnalystOther
- FTFront End Developer (Mid Level)Other
- FTIT Systems AdministratorVIC
- CCDatabase Systems Specialist-BathurstNSW
- TPSystem AnalystACT
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Security EngineerOther
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTOracle DeveloperWA
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCScrum Master - Online DigitalVIC
- FTSenior Support AnalystOther
- TPSQL DeveloperQLD
- FTOracle Developer - EBSOther
- CCAgile Coach/LeadNSW
- FTJava Developer (Axway API)Other
- FTJunior-Mid Level Technical Implementation CoordinatorQLD