AudioPro ACE-Bass 2
- Extraordinary speed and detail, compact form factor, plenty of window-rattling power
Being such a small unit, it's not going to pop your windows from their frames, but it will give them a good old rattle if you like your bass big. Highly recommended.
Price$ 2,999.00 (AUD)
A good subwoofer adds impact, substance and (quite literally) feeling to your aural experiences. A great subwoofer will do all this and then some--it'll even extend the frequency range of your system by alleviating some of the bass load from your main speakers. With such an important job in a hi-fi or home theatre system the task of finding the right subwoofer shouldn't be rushed. Performance is obviously key and should be uppermost in your mind when auditioning prospective purchases. In reality we're often dictated to by other, less exciting factors such as the size and layout of the lounge. If you find you're lacking in space and need a compact subwoofer that doesn't compromise on performance then we think we've found just the toy for you.
The ACE-Bass 2 from Swedish manufacturer Audio Pro is as compact as they come, yet provides a phenomenal amount of deep, clean, distortion-free sub-bass. One of the problems faced by subwoofer manufacturers is that of transient response--how quickly the woofer cone reacts to the audio signal and, just as importantly, how quickly it stops moving afterwards. Generally speaking, the larger the woofer the slower the transient response and the higher the distortion. Paradoxically, most subwoofer manufacturers tend to opt for large woofers (in excess of 10") in the quest to create deep, powerful bass. There are, however, ways of moving the same amount of air without the slow transient response and distortion associated with large woofers. Multiple small woofers are one such option--in the case of the ACE-Bass 2 sub, a quartet of 5.5"-long throw units with neodymium magnets are installed.
The absence of a traditional bass reflex port (which needs to be of a minimum length to be of any use) means AudioPro can substantially reduce the cabinet size. A 10" passive radiator on the front of the cabinet allows air to move but the sealed-box nature of the system means an incredibly powerful 500W D-Class amplifier has had to be installed.
On the back panel we find heavy-duty, binding post-style speaker level inputs and outputs plus an LFE-in (low frequency effects) socket and stereo line in and out sockets, and next to these are the variable low pass filter, phase and volume controls.
So has all this effort paid off? You bet it has. Musically I've yet to hear a modern subwoofer that can match the Audio Pro in terms of speed and detail. Play any up-tempo song with a strong bass line and you'll find the precision and depth with which that bass is reproduced quite astounding. Plucks of a bass guitar are clearly distinguishable from one another, even among the hubbub of a band's worth of instruments. Detail is outstanding too. Take any track from the Lisa Ekdahl/Peter Nordahl Trio album Back to Earth and listen for Patrik Boman's double bass; when he hits the real low notes you can almost reach out and feel the resonance of the instrument.
Home theatre nuts will also love the speed of the ACE-Bass 2. Machine gunfire in The Matrix or other similarly fast-paced movies transcends the constant blur of ordinary sub bass and every shot slams home as an individual entity. Best of all it integrated superbly with the mains (also Audio Pro in this case) and like all good subs it never once drew attention to itself.
Being such a small unit it's not going to pop your windows from their frames but it will give them a good old rattle if you like your bass big. Highly recommended.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
- Sonos reveals Sonos One, an Alexa-enabled speaker that will support AirPlay 2 and Google Assistant
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTDigital Marketing Executive - PersonalisationOther
- FTDevOps Engineer - Supply ChainOther
- CCThe job "Automation Test Analyst Guidewire " is now ExpiredQLD
- FTJunior Front End DeveloperOther
- CCData Center Infrastructure Specialist - Wintel / VMwareWA
- CCEnterprise Architect ? Network & InfrastructureNSW
- CCSenior Internet Services Engineer - DevOpsNSW
- FTTest Automation EngineerVIC
- FTManager, Digital DeliveryOther
- FTService Desk CoordinatorVIC
- FTPL/SQL DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - AdviceOther
- FTFinancial Analyst- Construction backgroundOther
- TPProject OfficerVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Windows EngineerNSW
- FTFeature Team Lead - paying $725 per dayOther
- CCLSS BPMN Process Improvement AnalystVIC
- FTService Desk Engineer/IT Help desk Support - Multiple positionsVIC
- FTChange Facilitators / Change AnalystsOther
- FTManager, Digital DeliveryOther
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTNetwork ArchitectACT
- CCNetwork ArchitectVIC