Audio Technica AT-HA20
- Cheap, enhanced sound
- Not nearly as great as some other amplifiers
As a cheap way to increase the quality of your audio setup, the AT-HA20 is a reasonable alternative. However we would recommend saving your money and investing in a better amplifier later on, as the difference it will make and the scope for upgrading will be vastly increased.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Headphone amplifiers are a truly difficult product to review. For many people they will be nothing more than an expensive LED taking up space in their already cluttered audio setup. For others however, they are another step along the endless road to audio nirvana.
Most people believe an amplifier is something designed to increase the volume of something; this isn't always correct. Amplifiers add their own distinct colouration to the sound. You would have heard us describe different headphones sounds ranging from warm to dark and neutral. A headphone amplifier can exhibit all of these characteristics, thus it is important to pair it well with your headphones.
The AT-HA20 is an entry level amplifier; typically one can expect to pay upwards of $800 for a reasonable quality unit, so the low price tag on this model is definitely attractive. You do however get what you pay for.
Many pairs of headphones require an amplifier, merely to adequately drive them, and whilst we found the AT-HA20 could support most of our test models, some high end pairs such as the Beyerdynamic DT880s were simply too much for it.
What the AT-HA20 is great for is enhancing the sound of headphones that don't require an amplifier; things like the Audio Technica A900s. We found this amplifier to be extremely neutral in that, it didn't greatly colour the sound across any of the registers. What it did do is improve weaker elements of the headphones we used, and enhance the overall sound quality. On the A900s it gave the mid range more prominence (one of our few criticisms of that model) and really increased the resolution and detail. This was the case across multiple pairs of headphones; we found this amplifier gave them a fuller, richer sound.
Design wise, the AT-HA20 is quite nice. It is extremely compact for an amplifier, although probably still too large to be considered portable. It is housed in a solid, silver chassis with a clear Perspex roof allowing you to see the circuitry inside. The insides are illuminated by a funky blue LED, which we liked the look of, but some people may find annoying in a dark room.
It supports both small and large headphones jacks, which is a nice touch. Connection to your CD player or other source is achieved through a standard RCA cable. We would have liked to see optical or coaxial as an option here, but realistically for a budget product, RCA is more than satisfactory.
Join the newsletter!
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
cloudandco Smart Cane
Apple iPhone X
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Google Daydream View VR Headset
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Xbox One X
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Foxtel Now's new streaming device launched weeks after TelstraTV
- Logitech announce new MX Sound speakers
- Telstra looks to solve 'Entertainment Exasperation' with new 4K Telstra TV
- Sonos reveals Sonos One, an Alexa-enabled speaker that will support AirPlay 2 and Google Assistant
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- The Best Australian Black Friday Tech Deals That Aren't On Amazon
- Wolfenstein The New Colossus Review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSenior Salesforce Functional ConsultantNSW
- TPICT Strategic Sourcing SpecialistQLD
- CCSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTProject Engineer, Operational Infrastructure & TelcoOther
- FTSAP FI Functional SpecialistACT
- TPSenior Project Manager | Service Management I ITILQLD
- CC.Net / AngularJS DeveloperVIC
- FTMaximo EngineerOther
- CCDelivery Lead - Process Transformation (Six Sigma) - Telco in Pennant HIllsNSW
- FTPermanent .Net Developer roleACT
- FTSenior Project CoordinatorOther
- CCWeb Applications Project ManagerACT
- CCIntegration SpecialistQLD
- CCPega ArchitectVIC
- FTNetwork Integration SpecialistOther
- FTDigital Content Manager | AEM , HTML and CSSOther
- FTCommercial Loan Documentation SpecialistOther
- CCTableau DeveloperQLD
- FTJunior Infrastructure EngineerACT
- FTCustomer Service RepresentativeOther
- FTTechnical Business Analyst / Application Support AnalystOther
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCWintel Messaging Engineer l Office 365 / Exchange / Skype for Business / AzureNSW
- TPSenior Business Analyst - HealthQLD
- FTSolution Architect - API / SaaSOther