Atlus Luminous Arc
- Great presentation, two player option, intelligent level-up system.
- If you've played other games in the genre, expect a big feeling of deja vu to sink in.
Luninous Ark is a solid, by-the-book RPG that won't disappoint fans of genre. Having said that, it fails to deliver anything new and is over all too quickly.
Price$ 69.95 (AUD)
The DS has sorely been lacking in the strategy RPG department since its early conception, so it's good to see Atlus step up to the plate with Luminous Arc. But while it's an interesting stab at filling this void in the DS library, it ultimately comes up short.
Where Luminous Arc succeeds is in its presentation: the game is beautifully drawn with attractive character designs, boasts a solid sound track and, surprisingly enough, features an adept voice-acting cast. What it doesn't do so well, however, is in the story line, which is bland and underwhelming while the character development is weak and lacking.
At least the game plays decently enough. It's reminiscent of Final Fantasy Tactics in that you move your characters around to your desired position on the battlefield one square at a time to engage your enemy. The game does have the added option of a super move called the Flash Drive, which adds a nice little twist to things. Although you can't choose the job type for your characters like Final Fantasy Tactics, you do have a fair assortment of fighters to choose from, but they all have predictable personalities. There's the fair but naive protagonist swordsman, the rough and tumble womanizer with the big broadsword, the conflicted priestess, the large breasted witches - the list goes on and on.
We also noticed that the small size of the DS screen really detracts from the action. It is difficult, and at times impossible, to choose the one character that you want to heal or hurt. Many times while in a rush to attack, you can accidentally select the wrong unit. Fortunately the game includes a confirmation screen for each move to help you from committing to "user stylus malfunction," but it would be nice to be able to alter camera angles on the battle field to reveal the hiding character to correctly select the unit instead of accidentally killing your teammate when you're already in a pinch.
We did appreciate the ability to battle others over the DS Lite's Wi-Fi connection but ultimately, there isn't enough in this game for us to fully recommend it. It's a decent enough game but it isn't the grand strategy RPG experience that we've all been waiting for.
Join the newsletter!
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Apple iPhone X
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
cloudandco Smart Cane
Toys for Boys
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Bose SoundLink Micro
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Xbox One X
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Acer attempts to woo Australian gamers with reveal of its new Predator range
- Nintendo Switch software update: What does 4.0.0 feature and how to install it?
- Robot House announce vacuum-bot adventure game ahead of PAX Australia
- Wargaming launches ANZ servers for World of Tanks
- VR fairytale game Luna due for Oct 17 release
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPProject Scheduler/CoordinatorQLD
- TPNetwork EngineerVIC
- FTJunior Front End DeveloperOther
- FTData AnalystOther
- TPSenior .NET ContractNSW
- CCData Center Operations EngineerWA
- FTSystems ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTProject Manager - Data Centre refreshOther
- FTTeam and Project Administrator - SalesforceQLD
- TPAPS6 Business AnalystACT
- FTUnix/Linux EngineersOther
- FTBusiness Analyst - TableauOther
- FTChange Manager, IT & Business ProjectsOther
- CCAutomation Test Analyst - Regression TestingNSW
- TPProject ManagerNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectOther
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Incident & OperationsOther
- FTJunior Infrastructure EngineerACT
- CCAnalyst Programmer / DeveloperNSW
- FTProgress 8.3 DeveloperOther
- FTSalesforce DeveloperOther
- CCBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- CCSalesforce Solutions ArchitectNSW
- FTJava DeveloperOther