Atebits Tweetie iPhone app
A speedy Twitter client for the iPhone
- Fast loading and navigation, attractive interface, can control multiple Twitter accounts
- Twitter conversations are hard to follow, HTML links are not automatically shrunk during writing
Tweetie is a lean and fast Twitter client. Some aspects could be improved, but this app still offers numerous features that make for an enjoyable mobile Twitter experience.
Price$ 3.99 (AUD)
For any social-networking fiend, finding the perfect iPhone Twitter client is an ongoing quest for the right balance of features and looks. Though we have been partial in the past to Twitteriffic, Atebits' Tweetie for iPhone app is a definite contender to replace it. Armed with a slick interface and quick loading times, Tweetie has plenty of appealing features. There is still room for improvement, however.
Tweetie offers the features you would expect from any Twitter client, including a personalised stream of tweets from yourself and those you follow, as well as the ability to view direct messages, replies and favourite tweets. The iPhone app also includes some extra features such as trend and user search, a profile view, an integrated Web browser for tweeted links and the ability to use the iPhone's GPS function to find Twitter users around you.
Tweetie's minimalist UI is a mix of the iPhone's SMS and iPod interfaces. The app is particularly fast at loading and navigating around tweets and other functions. It doesn't have some of the navigation shortcuts of rival apps like Twitterific, but it doesn't really need to; a quick flick of the finger seamlessly scrolls from the top to the bottom of the Twitter stream.
A tab-based navigation bar on the bottom provides access to features relevant to your own account, like direct messages, favourites and replies. Other windows like trend and user search are available through a More button. We would have preferred a customisable navigation bar like the Apple Remote iPhone app's.
One of the key advantages of Tweetie is the ability to control multiple Twitter accounts. Combined with the speed with which Tweetie can handle a Twitter stream, switching between entered accounts is seamless, bypassing the need to log out and in each time. This is great for Twitter power users or those who use multiple accounts to separate work and personal social networking.
Tweetie draws connections between replies and the connected tweet, but unfortunately doesn't thread them as some Web-based Twitter clients do. Instead, you must first click on the reply tweet, and then click on another button that takes you to the connected tweet. Tweetie also fails to recognise when an original tweet has been replied to by one of your other contacts — in order to navigate the chain you have to first click on the reply. This can be a particular problem when attempting to navigate long-winded discussions.
Atebits claims that Tweetie for iPhone can automatically shrink HTML links, but there are a few catches to this. Tweetie only shortens the HTML link when posting rather than while you're writing, so any posts that go over the 140-character limit due to lengthy links will have to be cut down manually. Even the integrated TweetShrink feature won't help.
Though there are some flaws in the Tweetie for iPhone app, the ability to control multiple accounts and the overall speed make it a breeze to use. Tweetie's minimalist interface is an attractive extension of the basic iPhone scheme.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Trend Micro Strengthens its Security Offerings in Trend Micro Security
- Billions of devices at risk as Bluetooth-bourne vulnerability exposed
- Here's the Apple macOS High Sierra release date
- Adobe and Microsoft expand productivity partnership
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTWindows Rollout / Desktop Support AnalystOther
- CCInformation Security Consultant - BrisbaneACT
- FTiMIS Engineer / DBAOther
- FTCustomer Service RepresentativeOther
- FTScheduling and Reporting Analyst | 3mth ContractOther
- CCSenior Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- FTDigital Marketing ExecutiveOther
- TPProgram Support OfficerQLD
- FTMid - Senior Web DeveloperWA
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- TPSQL DevloperNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack DeveloperQLD
- TPLinux EngineerQLD
- FTBusiness Analyst - PaymentsVIC
- FTSenior Technical Business AnalystACT
- FTChange Analyst - Business & TransformationOther
- FTMobile Applications DeveloperACT
- TPSAP Process ControlQLD
- CCSenior DevOps ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- CCMean Stack Developers x4ACT
- FTSenior Change AnalystOther
- FTTechnical Support - Level 1 - Sydney WestOther
- CCNetwork Solution ArchitectQLD