Heroes Over Europe
Another arcade-style WWII dogfighting sim lands on our consoles but does it soar or crash land?
- Fun missions, great visuals, and accessible controls. Pulling off focused "Ace Kills" is a blast.
- Aside from the "Ace Kill" mechanic, HOE doesn't do a lot to separate itself from the pack.
In the vein of Blazing Angels and Battlestations, Heroes Over Europe takes to the skies as an incredibly fun, arcade-style (dog) flight simulation.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
WW II-themed arcade flight-combat games are nothing new; this console generation has already dive-bombed us with two entries each in the Blazing Angels and Battlestations series. Heroes Over Europe -- sequel to last gen's Heroes of the Pacific -- offers armchair aces yet another reason to climb back into the cockpit, provided you already have a love for the genre. It's got plenty of missions, authentic aircraft and engaging gameplay; unfortunately, it isn't anything you haven't already seen in any of the other titles.
Whites Of Their Eyes
Thankfully, Heroes does differentiate itself a bit with its FPS-like "Ace Kill" system; this fun feature allows dead-eyes to slow down time and target specific parts of their enemies. So, with a little skill and some breath-holding, you might be able to tear off a wing, explode an engine, or get really personal and plug the pilot. While this mechanic might seem more at home in a head shot-happy shooter, it works well here, injecting a bit more adrenaline into the gameplay.
Additionally, an end-of-mission stat screen tracks these precise hits, among other things, ensuring more determined flying aces take the time to score these more creative kills rather than just unleashing a barrage of hot lead from afar. It's a nice little incentive to actually hone your skills rather than go the spray-and-pray route.
On Your Six
On top of nailing the arcadey combat, Heroes immerses players into a rich visual presentation, complemented by excellent production values. Flying into the smoke and debris of an enemy you just fried never gets old, and taking in the beautiful scenery will occasionally make you forget you've got a pissed off German pilot on your tail. Whether you're making a pass by Big Ben or just taking in the snow covered serenity of the French Alps, the eye candy is plentiful and varied.
There's also a multiplayer mode that I wasn't able to try due to the fact that multiplayer servers weren't up and running but I can easily see it adding a nice layer to the overall experience. The tight controls and Ace Kills mechanic are sure to translate well to the online experience.
The solid combat and engaging visuals might not be enough to recruit new fans and the emphasis on arcade-action means serious simulator fans will want to stick to their modded flight sticks, but Heroes offers enough to please wannabe pilots who just want to take to the skies for a little dogfighting fun.
Join the newsletter!
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Bose SoundLink Micro
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Xbox One X
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Overwatch League draws millions of eyes in first week
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By MadCatz
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By Razer
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By HyperX
- CES 2018: HyperX announces Wireless Cloud Flight Headset and RGB range
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTFront-End DeveloperSA
- FTSenior System Engineer - Wintel & MacVIC
- CCSolution DesignerNSW
- CCSAP ABAP DeveloperQLD
- FTSecurity DevOps EngineerOther
- CCData ArchitectWA
- FTIT Service Desk AnalystOther
- FTTechnical Project OfficerOther
- CCTechnical Consultant - FortifyACT
- CCIteration Manager - TelcoVIC
- TPSystem AnalystACT
- FTMainframe DevelopersOther
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- CCDigital Project Manager - AdobeVIC
- TPAgile CoachNSW
- TPIncident ManagerNSW
- FTFrontend DeveloperOther
- FTProgram Manager - Digital AND Agile essentialOther
- FTOpenText ConsultantVIC
- CCProgram Manager l O365, Windows 10, VMWare WorkspaceNSW
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Operational Performance ReportingOther
- TPData ArchitectQLD
- TPChange ManagerACT
- TPSenior Java DeveloperACT