Heroes Over Europe
Another arcade-style WWII dogfighting sim lands on our consoles but does it soar or crash land?
- Fun missions, great visuals, and accessible controls. Pulling off focused "Ace Kills" is a blast.
- Aside from the "Ace Kill" mechanic, HOE doesn't do a lot to separate itself from the pack.
In the vein of Blazing Angels and Battlestations, Heroes Over Europe takes to the skies as an incredibly fun, arcade-style (dog) flight simulation.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
WW II-themed arcade flight-combat games are nothing new; this console generation has already dive-bombed us with two entries each in the Blazing Angels and Battlestations series. Heroes Over Europe -- sequel to last gen's Heroes of the Pacific -- offers armchair aces yet another reason to climb back into the cockpit, provided you already have a love for the genre. It's got plenty of missions, authentic aircraft and engaging gameplay; unfortunately, it isn't anything you haven't already seen in any of the other titles.
Whites Of Their Eyes
Thankfully, Heroes does differentiate itself a bit with its FPS-like "Ace Kill" system; this fun feature allows dead-eyes to slow down time and target specific parts of their enemies. So, with a little skill and some breath-holding, you might be able to tear off a wing, explode an engine, or get really personal and plug the pilot. While this mechanic might seem more at home in a head shot-happy shooter, it works well here, injecting a bit more adrenaline into the gameplay.
Additionally, an end-of-mission stat screen tracks these precise hits, among other things, ensuring more determined flying aces take the time to score these more creative kills rather than just unleashing a barrage of hot lead from afar. It's a nice little incentive to actually hone your skills rather than go the spray-and-pray route.
On Your Six
On top of nailing the arcadey combat, Heroes immerses players into a rich visual presentation, complemented by excellent production values. Flying into the smoke and debris of an enemy you just fried never gets old, and taking in the beautiful scenery will occasionally make you forget you've got a pissed off German pilot on your tail. Whether you're making a pass by Big Ben or just taking in the snow covered serenity of the French Alps, the eye candy is plentiful and varied.
There's also a multiplayer mode that I wasn't able to try due to the fact that multiplayer servers weren't up and running but I can easily see it adding a nice layer to the overall experience. The tight controls and Ace Kills mechanic are sure to translate well to the online experience.
The solid combat and engaging visuals might not be enough to recruit new fans and the emphasis on arcade-action means serious simulator fans will want to stick to their modded flight sticks, but Heroes offers enough to please wannabe pilots who just want to take to the skies for a little dogfighting fun.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
Apple iPhone X
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Toys for Boys
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Google Daydream View VR Headset
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Xbox One X
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Acer attempts to woo Australian gamers with reveal of its new Predator range
- Nintendo Switch software update: What does 4.0.0 feature and how to install it?
- Robot House announce vacuum-bot adventure game ahead of PAX Australia
- Wargaming launches ANZ servers for World of Tanks
- VR fairytale game Luna due for Oct 17 release
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- The Best Australian Black Friday Tech Deals That Aren't On Amazon
- Wolfenstein The New Colossus Review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTAutomation Tester - 12 month contract - Big 4 BankOther
- FTSenior Change Manager, Portfolio Change DeliveryOther
- FTUser Experience PractitionerACT
- FTUX Designer | Mobile ApplicationsOther
- TPICT Strategic Sourcing SpecialistQLD
- CCDigital Customer Marketing ExecutiveNSW
- FTSQL DeveloperACT
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE DeveloperNSW
- TPSolution Architect - Cloud InfrastructureQLD
- FTInfrastructure Design Engineer, DC Power, CommunicationsOther
- FTJunior Infrastructure EngineerACT
- CCJava Full stack developer - Telco domainVIC
- FTNetwork ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther
- FTSenior Siebel DeveloperACT
- FTNetwork Lead AcrhitectVIC
- FTSenior Application DeveloperOther
- CCF5 Operational Support EngineerWA
- TPInstructional DesignerNSW
- CCJunior to Mid Level - Java/ J2EE DeveloperQLD
- FTICT Project Coordinator / Project ManagerOther
- FTSenior Business ConsultantOther
- FTNetwork Lead AcrhitectNSW
- CCDeployment ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Test Engineer - Insurance domainVIC