What is the Asus Transformer Book V?
Asus' new innovation is a 5-in-1 product for Windows and Android tasks
Serial innovator, Asus, is at it again in Computex. The company unveiled its Asus Transformer Book V product, which is a 12.5in laptop that is actually much more than a laptop.
ASUS calls it a "five-mode, three-in-one converged laptop", mainly because it's said to be three devices in one (a laptop, a tablet, and an Android phone), and all of those parts can make it run in five modes (as a Windows laptop, a Windows tablet, an Android tablet, an Android laptop, and even as an Android phone).
What we should mention right off the bat is that the laptop isn't actually a phone itself. The phone is a separate, dockable device with a 5in screen that can be attached to the laptop. The laptop's screen, which is a 12.5in IPS panel, is also detachable, and that's what makes the product turn into a Windows tablet. Android and Windows can both be run when the product is in laptop mode, but in tablet mode, Android can only be run when the phone is docked to the screen.
The hardware inside the device is Intel based, both for Windows and for Android. An Intel Core CPU runs the Windows 8.1 tablet, along with 4GB of RAM and a 128GB solid state drive. Meanwhile, the Android phone is based on an Intel Atom, quad-core CPU (Moorefield), with 2GB of RAM, 64GB of storage, and it's 4G/LTE.
It's the type of product that's sure to appeal to lovers of technology and innovation, but we're not sure how practical it all is. The laptop and tablet parts are understandable, but the addition of the phone tends to muddle things a little. We'll reserve our final judgement until we see the product in person, but previous Asus products with Windows and Android capabilities have felt more like a novelty than necessity.
Let us know in the comments if you're keen on this type of product and whether it would benefit your workflow. At the moment, there is no word on Australian availability or pricing.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Tech Timeline: The iPad first goes on sale
- New 9.7-inch iPad teardown reveals it's basically an original iPad Air with minor tweaks
- More iPad screen sizes unlikely to stop slump
- Samsung's Galaxy Tab S3 is like a giant Note7
- Lenovo's ThinkPad X1 Tablet modules add features but limit functionality
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- Moto X4 review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSolutions ArchitectNSW
- TPSAP ABAP DeveloperQLD
- FTSAP Developers (SAP CRM, PSCD, HANA, UI5)Other
- TPSoftware Implementation Project Manager.NSW
- TPICT Procurement Officer | NorthsideQLD
- CCSet-Top Box InstallerQLD
- FTSenior Tester - Asset Finance OR mortgage app testing essentialOther
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerOther
- FTIT Rollout TechnicianSA
- FTSenior SQL DeveloperOther
- CCCICD ArchitectVIC
- CCAutomation Scripter - Data CentresWA
- FTEnterprise Architect - Permanent OpportunityQLD
- FTAgile Business Analyst, website or mobile apps expOther
- FTNetwork Administrator / Junior Network OperatorOther
- FTSoftware Developer - Banking SolutionsOther
- FTProject SchedulersSA
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- FTPermanent Project SchedulerACT
- TPProject OfficerQLD
- CCTraining and Support LeadVIC
- FTCloud Engineer - AWSOther
- FTSenior Project Controls Officer / CoordinatorOther
- CCDevOps Developer (Chef/IAF/Linux)QLD