ASUS My Cinema-P7131Dual
- Analog input port
- Snowy analogue signal
Its TV reception isn’t the best, but it does have a useful analog input port and the PowerCinema software media centre adds functionality.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
While ASUS is well-renowned for its top quality motherboards and graphics cards, it still has a lot of work to do until it can be considered an elite TV tuner card brand. Its new My Cinema-P7131Dual card doesn't stack up well against other cards we have reviewed in the Test Centre.
It's a hybrid tuner card that can pick up analog or digital TV signals, FM radio (it ships with an FM antenna), and it also has a video in port which facilitates S-Video and composite connections.
During testing we found this card's performance to be weak. Analog reception was much snowier and wavier than we are used to seeing with our rooftop antenna. Multiple digital TV scans failed to pick up Channel Nine in Sydney. It managed to pick up all the other digital stations in our area and its picture quality and performance while watching standard definition (SD) and high definition (HD) programs were clear, vibrant and smooth. The card's ability to record from composite and S-Video sources were also impressive. Our test recordings from a VCR did not suffer from stuttering or audio synchronisation problems.
The card ships with CyberLink's PowerCinema, which has a clean interface and is easy to navigate using the supplied infrared remote. You can access video files, music, listen to the radio or even create DVDs with this software, as well as watch and record TV. It has an always-on time-shifting function, which worked well during testing, as did the recording scheduler. PowerCinema can not record an entire transport stream, however.
On our AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ test machine, CPU usage for SD and HD channels was about 10 per cent and 20 per cent, respectively.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Logitech Unveils MX ERGO, their first trackball in nearly a decade
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
- MSI's new Ryzen-ready motherboard coming to Oz
- Seagate Expands Portfolio with 12TB Drives for NAS and Desktop Computing
- Intel's 8th Gen Desktop Processors Go On Sale Today
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTSenior Network Engineer (RUN-BAU)VIC
- TPieMR Program Director - Gold CoastQLD
- FTSystems/Business AnalystACT
- FTSecurity Analyst - Operational SupportOther
- CCSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- FTAgile CoachOther
- FTBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTNetwork Security EngineerOther
- FTApplication Support Analyst - SMSF solutionsOther
- TPIT Technical WriterNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectOther
- FTBig Data ArchitectOther
- FTSolution Architect/Designer - Telecom IndustryOther
- FTScrum MasterOther
- CCProject Manager - DeliveryNSW
- CCRegulatory Project ManagerNSW
- FTC++ Analyst ProgrammerOther
- FTSenior Solution ArchitectOther
- FTOperations Process Improvement ManagerOther
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTUX Researcher - ContractNSW
- CCJunior to mid-level - Business Analyst ? AgileVIC
- CCAngular DeveloperNSW
- FTJava DeveloperOther