ASUS My Cinema-P7131Dual
- Analog input port
- Snowy analogue signal
Its TV reception isn’t the best, but it does have a useful analog input port and the PowerCinema software media centre adds functionality.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
While ASUS is well-renowned for its top quality motherboards and graphics cards, it still has a lot of work to do until it can be considered an elite TV tuner card brand. Its new My Cinema-P7131Dual card doesn't stack up well against other cards we have reviewed in the Test Centre.
It's a hybrid tuner card that can pick up analog or digital TV signals, FM radio (it ships with an FM antenna), and it also has a video in port which facilitates S-Video and composite connections.
During testing we found this card's performance to be weak. Analog reception was much snowier and wavier than we are used to seeing with our rooftop antenna. Multiple digital TV scans failed to pick up Channel Nine in Sydney. It managed to pick up all the other digital stations in our area and its picture quality and performance while watching standard definition (SD) and high definition (HD) programs were clear, vibrant and smooth. The card's ability to record from composite and S-Video sources were also impressive. Our test recordings from a VCR did not suffer from stuttering or audio synchronisation problems.
The card ships with CyberLink's PowerCinema, which has a clean interface and is easy to navigate using the supplied infrared remote. You can access video files, music, listen to the radio or even create DVDs with this software, as well as watch and record TV. It has an always-on time-shifting function, which worked well during testing, as did the recording scheduler. PowerCinema can not record an entire transport stream, however.
On our AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ test machine, CPU usage for SD and HD channels was about 10 per cent and 20 per cent, respectively.
Join the newsletter!
Why virtualise your NAS environment?
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 4 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Intel launches 800P Optane SSD
- Radeon Software Brings Faster, Smoother Performance to the World’s Most Popular eSports Titles, Thanks to AMD’s Project ReSX
- Logitech try to reinvent the keyboard experience with Logitech CRAFT
- First AMD Ryzen Desktop APUs Featuring World’s Most Powerful Graphics on a Desktop Processor
- MSI AM4 Motherboards are now ready for new AMD 2nd Generation Ryzen Desktop Processors
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- MWC 2018: Everything You Need To Know
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - RFTVIC
- CCTRIM - System Administrator - BrisbaneNSW
- CC.NET DeveloperQLD
- TPLotus Notes DeveloperQLD
- FTProject Manager - ERP implementationOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTSAP Test AnalystsOther
- FTProxy Product Owner - $800pdOther
- CCOffice365 ProPlus SpecialistNSW
- FTDesktop Engineer Level 1 - 2Other
- FTPrincipal Consultant - Scheduling & Planning (Primavera & MSP)Other
- FTReporting Business Analyst - $62 phOther
- CCTalend Integration DeveloperNSW
- CCChange Manager l Port Macquarie NSWQLD
- FTSenior Healthcare Pre-Sales Exec. / Clinical Advisor - Perm - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTSenior Project CoordinatorOther
- FTPronto Systems Support SpecialistVIC
- TPPMO AnalystACT
- CCStorage EngineerNSW
- CCXamarin DeveloperNSW
- CCData Migration lead - Energy and GasVIC
- FTProject Co-ordinatorNSW
- TPProject ManagerACT