- Great response time, sharp and clear pictures, HDCP compliant
- Colour balance wasn't as good as we'd hoped
Gamers who are after a high speed monitor will be more than satisfied with this 22in model from ASUS.
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
With a price tag of $799, you'd expect the MW221U to offer a high-quality image, and for the most part it did. Running at a native resolution of 1650 x 1080 via DVI, this was most noticeable when displaying fast-paced material, such as PC games.
LCD monitors, unlike CRT monitors, can suffer from what is called ghosting. Ghosting occurs when a fast-moving object leaves a small trail behind it. The faster the monitor can switch its pixels from one colour to another, the less obvious this trail is. The MW221U can switch its pixels from one colour to another in 2ms. During our tests, using Unreal Tournament 2004, we noticed no ghosting whatsoever. This makes the MW221U an ideal choice for the hardcore gamer. Scrolling tests using the built-in Windows Marquee screen saver also showed minimal ghosting for white text on a black background and black text on a white background.
In our colour tests, the MW221U didn't perform quite as well, despite being a 16.7 million colour monitor. Using DisplayMate Video Edition's colour block charts, we noticed a higher than normal level of blue across most shades, particularly evident in the greyscale. We had some success adjusting this using the calibration settings in the OSD menu, but this didn't completely eliminate the problem. Other colours were better balanced, although reds were slightly oversaturated. DisplayMate showed that black levels were good for the most part, although not the best we have seen.
However in our other DisplayMate tests, the MW221U impressed. Vertical, horizontal and curved lines were all rendered with great clarity and no noticeable aberrations. There was no image noise visible at all and no backlight bleeding either. Similarly, contrast was handled exceptionally well, with great definition between shades on our colour block charts, and an even gradient on our colour intensity ramps.
While it has a fast response time, the other notable thing about the MW221U is that it's HDCP compliant, which makes it a good investment if you have home-theatre in mind. In the future, high definition digital content will be encrypted using this new protocol. High definition content that isn't encrypted will not play back at its highest quality if all your devices, such as a Blu-ray player or an HD-DVD player, are not HDCP compliant.
Aesthetically the MW221U is quite nice. It has a slim black and silver bezel and indented neon buttons, which add a touch of class. The included speaker is decent, and fairly typical of in-built monitor speakers. The usual connectivity options are present, including DVI and D-Sub ports.
Join the newsletter!
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Apple iPhone X
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
cloudandco Smart Cane
Toys for Boys
Lego Mindstorms EV3
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Xbox One X
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- AOC Unveils AG322QCX AGON Gaming Display Bolstered for Battle
- Samsung announces Australian availability for its 49-inch CHG90 QLED Monitor
- BenQ Announces the EW3270ZL Eye Care Monitor with Immaculate Colour Reproduction
- AbleGamers' Player Panels could make future games more disability-friendly
- G-Sync HDR displays go ultrawide and ultra-fast with the 200Hz Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSenior Process SpecialistNSW
- TPPrincipal Data AnalystQLD
- FTMulesoft Solutions DesignerNSW
- FTScrum MasterOther
- TPBusiness Process AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst (Finance/Grants)QLD
- CCDynamics AX Functional Consultant ? Finance | Supply ChainQLD
- FTAnalysis, Design & Configuration ManagerOther
- FTInformation Security AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - TableauOther
- FTTechnology Development ManagerQLD
- CCAndroid developerNSW
- FTNetwork Lead AcrhitectNSW
- CCTest ManagerNSW
- CCGeospatial Project ManagerNSW
- TPBusiness Improvement ManagerNSW
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- TPProject Services - Support RolesACT
- CCProperty Project Manager - Office ExpansionNSW
- FTPermanent: Senior Infrastructure Technical Consultant - Cloud - MicrosoftVIC
- FTScrum Master | 6mths +Other
- CCAssociate Project Manager - Infrastructure ServicesVIC
- FTJava Software Engineers wanted (Melbourne CBD location)VIC
- TPProject ManagerACT
- FTProject ManagerQLD