ASUS MeMo Pad HD 7 Android tablet (preview)
The MeMo Pad HD 7 is a very similar device to the Nexus 7 but with the addition of a 5-megapixel camera
- Very low price
- Rear facing camera
- Light weight
- Wi-Fi only
- No real wow factor
The ASUS Memo Pad HD 7 is a very similar device to the Nexus 7 but with the addition of a 5-megapixel rear-facing camera. It will become one of the cheapest tablets on the market.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
Small and cheap tablets seem to be flying onto the shelves, most of them clearly trying to replicate the success of the Google Nexus 7. ASUS' latest attempt is the MeMo Pad HD 7, a very similar device to the Nexus 7 but with the addition of a 5-megapixel rear-facing camera.
ASUS describes the MeMo Pad HD 7 as "a 7-inch tablet that offers incredible value". Starting at US$129 for the 8GB model and US$149 for the 16GB model, it's hard to argue with that statement. Even the $199 pricing in Australia makes it one of the cheapest Android tablets on the market.
The MeMo Pad HD 7 looks very similar to the Nexus 7, which is hardly surprising since ASUS manufacturers that device, too. The addition of four color variants — black, white, pink and green — will help it stand out from the crowd but the biggest plus is weight. At 302g, the MeMo Pad HD 7 is 38g lighter than the Nexus 7, even though it's ever so slightly thicker.
Despite being an entry level device, you'll get plenty of bang for your buck. The MeMo Pad HD 7 has a quad-core Cortex A7 processor, 1GB of RAM and the previously mentioned 8GB or 16GB of internal storage, depending on the model you choose. There's also a microSD card slot to expand the memory.
The MeMo Pad HD 7 also has a 7in IPS screen with a resolution of 1280x800, a front-facing 1.2-megapixel camera for video calls and a 5-megapixel rear-facing camera that also doubles as a 720p HD video recorder. ASUS says the rear-facing camera is "optional" on some models, but there's been no official word on the specifics of this.
The ASUS MeMo Pad HD 7 has a non-removable lithium polymer battery that the company says will last for up to 10 hours of video playback. The device runs the latest 4.2 'Jelly Bean' version of Google's Android operating system, though ASUS does pre-load a few apps including WebStorage Office for accessing Microsoft Office documents online.
The ASUS MeMo Pad HD 7 is available now through authorised ASUS retailers and channel resellers in grey, blue, white, pink and green colour variants for $199.
Join the newsletter!
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Bose SoundLink Micro
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Xbox One X
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- NETGEAR 4G LTE Modem Keeps You Online
- Facebook to begin testing its Internet drone this year
- Tablet shipments down, but detachables catch on
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Vodafone puts idle smartphones to work to fight cancer
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- The Best Australian Black Friday Tech Deals That Aren't On Amazon
- Wolfenstein The New Colossus Review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTService Desk CoordinatorVIC
- FTDigital BAOther
- FTSolution Architect - API / SaaSOther
- TPProject Manager - Pre Sales Development ProcessNSW
- CCTechnical LeadQLD
- FTDigital Marketing Executive - PersonalisationOther
- FTAgile CoachOther
- CCDeployment ManagerVIC
- FTProject Manager - Data Centre refreshOther
- FTDesktop / SCCM EngineerOther
- FTDigital Product OwnerOther
- FTAxiomSL Technical ConsultantOther
- FTSenior Network ArchitectOther
- FTField ConsultantOther
- FTTIBCO Integration SpecialistOther
- FTField Service EngineerOther
- TPieMR Program Director - Gold CoastQLD
- FTFrontEnd Angular DeveloperOther
- FTDigital Marketing ExecutiveOther
- TPSenior Project CoordinatorVIC
- FTDevOps EngineerOther
- FTJunior Python Developer - TradingOther
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- FTFacilities/Capacity EngineerOther
- FTTechnical Business AnalystOther