World's slimmest 22-inch LCD monitor
- Design, HDMI input, hardened anti-reflection glass, build quality, image mode presets
- Not height adjustable, slight backlight bleeding, fine details sometimes lost
It may be the world’s slimmest 22in monitor, but this unit still delivers reasonable performance.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
With diamond cut corners, a leather panel below the screen and anti-reflection glass, ASUS’ LS221H certainly looks sophisticated. At just 45mm thick, ASUS claims it is also the world’s slimmest 22in LCD monitor.
The LS221H is certainly one of the most stylish monitors we’ve reviewed. It has a glossy black bezel and a circle-shaped stand. Disappointingly, it is not height adjustable, although it is wall mountable. Below the screen is a small chrome bar that houses the controls: six buttons, including a stylish, blue-backlit power button.
A glossy screen would normally be a negative point, but ASUS has equipped the LS221H with anti-reflection glass. In an office environment with bright florescent lighting it performed exceptionally well considering its glossy panel. Additionally, the glass surface is diamond cut and 9H hardness-rated for protection against damage. It certainly feels extremely sturdy and well built, and its horizontal and vertical viewing angles are reasonable.
The LS221H has a native resolution of 1680x1050. It has five image mode presets — standard, theatre, game, night view and scenery — and these are easily selected by pressing a mode button on the front panel. We found the standard mode to be best for day-to-day use such as word processing and Internet browsing. Text is reasonably accurate with little noise and no visible aberrations around the edges. You can adjust a number of image settings, including brightness, contrast, sharpness and saturation. Users can also switch between three skin tones and five colour temperature settings.
ASUS’ Splendid Video Intelligence Technology aims to automatically correct and adjust the monitor's image depending on what is displayed. Although it does a reasonable job the constant shifting can get a little frustrating; most users will prefer to adjust the settings themselves. The LS221H produced good results in our DisplayMate tests, with impressive detail in dark areas, helped by minimal reflection despite the glossy panel. There was slight backlight bleeding on dark screens, but it isn’t too noticeable and shouldn’t be cause for concern.
A 2ms response time means the LS221H is well suited for reproducing fast motion such as action movies or video games. When connected to a Blu-ray player via HDMI we found minimal ghosting. The same applied when connected to the Xbox 360 Elite. In some games and movies fine dark details did get lost and skin tones were a little oversaturated, but these are both minor issues.
Join the newsletter!
"If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63."
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG E8 OLED TV (2018) and SK10Y soundbar review: If you've been on the fence about OLED, now might be the time to jump it
- 2 Nokia 6 (2018) review: Simple. Solid. Supreme.
- 3 Samsung Q9F Series QLED: Full, in-depth review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Philips unveils new 43-inch display with HDR1000
- Sharp renews Huddle Board offering
- MSI and SteelSeries team up on curved gaming monitors
- Acer unveils new range of desktop PCs, notebooks and gaming machines
- Asus Announces The Latest Designo Curve MX32VQ Monitor
PCW Evaluation Team
I need power and lots of it. As a Front End Web developer anything less just won’t cut it which is why the MSI GT75 is an outstanding laptop for me. It’s a sleek and futuristic looking, high quality, beast that has a touch of sci-fi flare about it.
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
- Huawei Nova 3e: P20 in a pinch
- Sonos Beam review: A more-affordable, smarter soundbar option
- Oppo R15 Pro review: A compelling mid-tier option with lots of value and few compromises
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies