- Fast burning, great value
- Nothing of note
The ASUS DRW-1608p2s leads the field in speed and value
Price$ 79.00 (AUD)
If you are looking for fast dual-layer burning, then the buck stops with the ASUS DRW-1608P2S. It is the fastest double-layer and single-layer DVD burner we have had and it comes with support for every DVD and CD format.
The ASUS Double Dynamic Suspension System reduces vibration and controls resonant frequencies. This resulted in a high quality burn at the highest speed of 8x on a 2.4x DVD+DL disc. The ASUS over-speed burning immediately recognised our media and set it to 8x. It is the only DVD burner that has been able to burn 2.4x DVD-DL at 8x, allowing for a full 7.2GB to be burnt in 17 minutes, a rate of 7.05MBps. The DVD+R 4GB burn test with a 6x disc was burnt in 7.5 minutes, which was a little slower than other burners. However, ASUS claims you can burn an 8x DVD+R disc at speeds of up to 12x. We didnA¢i¿½i¿½t yield any speed increases using our 6x disc.
Buffer underrun problems have been eliminated by the introduction of FlextraLink technology, which continually monitors the buffer to prevent the creation of unusable discs. The burst rate was quite fast at 37MBps, producing a transfer speed to the hard disk of 16MBps..
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 3 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 4 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- HPE is bringing Optane storage to Unix servers
- These new super fast Intel SSDs provide a bridge to Optane
- Prices of SSDs and DRAM will crash in 2019, Gartner predicts
- Pure adds more NVMe with an eye to the next storage speed bump
- What one company learned from testing Intel's superfast Optane SSDs
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- TPICT Customer Support OfficerNSW
- CCProject ManagerACT
- FTPHP DeveloperWA
- CCImplementation Manager/PlannerVIC
- TPLevel 1-3 Helpdesk OfficerQLD
- FTIntegration EngineerACT
- CCSenior Process ModellerNSW
- FTReport Developer and Visualisation AnalystQLD
- TPData Migration LeadNSW
- FTSenior .NET DevelopersSA
- CCDevOps Engineer with strong Docker skills - Contract - North Shore SydneyNSW
- CCJava / J2EE DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior DeveloperNSW
- TPIT Support AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Security Engineer x 3NSW
- FTField Engineer - Hardware DeploymentsNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT Software & Primary HealthcareQLD
- CCData Migration Lead | Recruitment Focus | DocklandsVIC
- FTL&D Manager, Transformation Program in Finance ServicesNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst - SalesforceVIC
- FTJunior Administration AssistantACT
- CCSalesforce ArchitectVIC
- FTProject Manager / Web DeveloperVIC