- No DVD writer, integrated graphics
This budget buy looks good and includes some nice options (FireWire, TV-out, card reader) and free extras (mouse, carry bag), but you don't get a DVD writer and the processor doesn't help with battery life.
Price$ 1,499.00 (AUD)
This notebook uses a 2.8GHz Intel Celeron D processor, which provides good performance for a good price, certainly, but doesn't really charge out of the gates. The graphics are integrated, which means the latest games are off-limits, but you can opt to borrow up to 128MB of memory from the main 256MB DDR SDRAM. Lastly, this model has a CD-writer/DVD-ROM combination--which burns CDs and plays DVDs, but does not burn DVDs.
So if all this, in addition the hefty weight (3.8kg) and relatively low battery life (64 minutes in our worst-case scenario test), isn't too much of a compromise, the A4L is worth a closer look.
Performance was about what you'd expect for this price--with a result of 57 in our productivity application benchmark (PC WorldBench 5) and a lacklustre 1659 in 3DMark 2001SE.
You can connect peripherals using the four USB 2.0 or single FireWire ports, network using Ethernet, 56Kbps modem or 802.11b wireless networking and output to an external monitor with the VGA-out, or to a television via the S-Video TV-out port.
Nice little extras include a seven-in-one multiformat card reader, Windows-independent CD playback and controls, free carry bag and optical mouse, and the same software bundle and warranty supplied with the more powerful ASUS V6000V.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Google Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixelbook, Google Home Mini & Max: Everything Announced At Today’s Google Event
- MSI GE73 7RF VR Raider Gaming Laptop: Full, in-depth review
- Traditional Aussie PC market defies global downward trend again
- Acer expands gaming notebook lineup with Predator Helios 300
- ASUS Announces Two New Entries into the VivoBook Range with the VivoBook 14 and VivoBook 15
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- iPhone 8
- Canon 6D MK II: Full, in-depth review
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTHealthcare Application Support Analyst role in MelbourneVIC
- CCMySQL Database AdministratorQLD
- FTAssociate Consultant - Help DeskNSW
- FTJunior-Mid level Technical Software Support/Project CoordinatorQLD
- CCIdentity & Access Management AnalystVIC
- FTIT Service Delivery ManagerOther
- CCInfrastructure Solution ArchitectNSW
- TPLead Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Data AnalystOther
- FTTechnical Digital Producer | 6 Month ContractOther
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCTechnical Lead - Infrastructure SMENSW
- FTNetwork and Security EngineerOther
- FTService Desk Level 2 Support ConsultantOther
- CCSCOM SpecialistQLD
- FTBusiness Systems Analyst - HR SystemsOther
- FTRPA Tech LeadVIC
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- FTService Delivery ManagerOther
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTBig Data DeveloperOther
- FTChange AnalystOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Logistics/TransportOther
- FTImplementation ManagerOther