Astone Media Gear AP-360T media streamer
This media streamer has a range of features and comes with a 1TB hard drive
- Easy to operate, quick and powerful decoding
- Bland interface, no inbuilt wireless
The Astone Media Gear AP-360T is a fuss-free media streamer. It's not flawless, but if you're looking for an easy-to-use streamer with a reasonably powerful feature set this is one to consider.
Price$ 349.95 (AUD)
The Astone Media Gear AP-360T is a media streamer with an inbuilt digital television tuner and a versatile feature set. It's not perfect — it has a bland interface and there is no integrated Wi-Fi — but if you're looking for a relatively cheap media streamer that can handle most everyday tasks then it's a viable option.
Unlike the Compro T1000W media streamer, the Astone Media Gear AP-360T is not a stylish product: it's a squat plastic box. The front panel has activity lights for power and hard drive read and recording status, as well as a USB host port and a USB 'B' port for connecting a computer directly to transfer media.
We hooked the Astone Media Gear AP-360T up to our test television, a Panasonic TH-P50G15A plasma, using the 1080p-capable HDMI port. For anyone with an older TV there's also component and composite video. We would have also liked to see VGA for connecting a PC monitor. Audio is handled by analog stereo RCA and coaxial and optical digital outputs. The remote control is relatively simple but we did initially have some problems with the layout — the EPG button is hidden down the bottom, for example. This doesn't present a significant issue though; we got used to it after a short while.
The Astone Media Gear AP-360T has a blue-and-white interface with occasional splashes of yellow. It's a little generic for our liking, and there are no icons to add a bit of life, but the interface is easy to use. The menus are easy to understand and logically laid out, and there is reasonable scope for adjusting video, audio and playback options.
The internal TV tuner of the Astone Media Gear AP-360T isn't brilliant, but it's quick and competent. We found the full complement of Sydney channels in a two-minute search; that's quite slow but thankfully switching between channels is a breeze and generally takes less than a second. The quality of the tuner is roughly equal with other PVRs we've tested; there is reasonable detail visible in high definition broadcasts.
Apart from watching and recording television, the main purpose of the Astone Media Gear AP-360T is to stream audio and video over a network and play files from the internal hard drive. Our review unit came with a 1TB Western Digital WD10EVDS drive installed.
The AP-360T streams media via its 10/100Mbps Ethernet connection without any stuttering and with minimal buffering. There's an optional 802.11n wireless dongle (the player doesn't have Wi-Fi as standard).
Codec support is extensive, ranging from garden-variety MPEG and DivX to more powerful H.264, VC-1 and Real Video HD containers. There is also FLV support — if you have a stockpile of downloaded YouTube videos this may be of interest. The ability to move subtitles around the screen will be useful for anyone with an extensive collection of films in different languages.
Astone's Media Gear AP-360T media streamer is a competent product. It doesn't do anything exceptional to make it stand out from the crowd, but at this price it's a good choice.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Sonos reveals Sonos One, an Alexa-enabled speaker that will support AirPlay 2 and Google Assistant
- Bose Introduces Tiny New Bluetooth Speaker
- iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3 and Apple TV 4K: Everything Announced At Today’s Apple Keynote
- Sony launches MUTEKI V90DW High Power Audio System
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTTest AnalystOther
- CCMobile Applications Developer (Brisbane)NSW
- CCService DesignerACT
- CCSenior ICT Project ManagerACT
- CCC++ Developer - Financial Services - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperOther
- FTIT Project ManagerOther
- CCWindows / Unix / Linux Systems Administration / Support SpecialistNSW
- FTBig Data EngineerVIC
- TPIT Security ManagerQLD
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTFunctional Support Consultant (GIS)Other
- FTNetwork Design SpecialistOther
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- CCSalesforce CloudSense LeadVIC
- FTCognos AdministratorOther
- CCSAP FICO ConsultantNSW
- FTConsultant - Risk and Compliance StreamOther
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCDevOps Developer (Brisbane Location)NSW
- CCInfrastructure ArchitectACT
- FTTechnical Engineer - NPIOther
- CCSenior Development DBA - OracleNSW
- FTProject Manager - Software Development ProjectsOther
- CCTraining and Support LeadNSW