Astone ISO GEAR 290 (500GB) external hard drive
Astone's 500GB external hard drive is easy to use for data backups but its flimsy enclosure doesn't offer much protection
- Attached USB cable, one-touch backup button, fast file transfer speeds
- Insufficient hard drive protection, a plain design with cheap feel
Astone ISO GEAR 290 (500GB) external drive enclosure provides an easy way to connect your 2.5in notebook hard drive to a computer, but it doesn't provide much protection from knocks and bumps an external hard drive will be subjected to.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
Astone's ISO GEAR 290 is a 2.5in 500GB external hard drive that allows you to easily transfer and backup data from your notebook or desktop computer. Additionally, its enclosure is easy to open, so you can swap out the hard drive with one of your own choosing, so you're not forever stuck with the one provided. However, its perforated metal enclosure doesn't provides enough protection for the hard drive inside.
The ISO GEAR 290 external drive enclosure doesn't have an attractive design. The brushed metal texture on the underside of the enclosure is stylish but the faux leather flap makes the enclosure feel cheap. Lifting up the leather flap reveals the hard drive itself — a Western Digital 500GB Scorpio Blue notebook drive — which sits underneath a perforated metal cover.
Unfortunately, this enclosure provides little protection for the drive during rigorous daily use. The faux leather flap does not entirely cover the perforated shell and, as a result, the ISO GEAR 290 is more prone to knocks and bumps than other drives we've tested, such as the Transcend StoreJet 25M-R.
The ISO GEAR 290 external hard drive's USB 2.0 cable is attached to the enclosure, which means you won't forget to bring the cable with moving the drive. The cable slips into the leather cover when it's not in use.
The drive also has a one-touch backup button which can be configured using the Windows-only PC Clone EX Lite software (this can be downloaded from Astone's Web site). The software needs to be installed on the computer you plan to back up, but it is extremely easy to setup. You can choose the directories you want to backup to the external hard drive, and you can also set up a hot key to start the backup in addition to using the hard drive enclosure's one-touch button.
We tested the Astone ISO GEAR 290 external hard drive's performance by transferring files between the drive and our test PC using a 300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor system drive. We conducted large and small file transfers, using 20GB worth of 3-4GB files for the large file transfers, and 3GB worth of 1MB files for our small file transfers.
In the large file test, the ISO GEAR 290 external hard drive attained a write speed of 25.2 megabytes per second (MBps), a read speed of 28.7MBps and a simultaneous read/write speed of 11.5MBps. In the small file test, file transfer speeds were slower; it attained a write speed of 13.5MBps, a read speed of 20.5MBps and it performed a simultaneous read/write operation at a rate of 9.7MBps.
In both tests, the speeds are almost identical to the ISO GEAR 288 but the results are slightly slower than Transcend's StoreJet 25M-R transfer speeds.
Like the ISO GEAR 288, the ISO GEAR 290 external hard drive is available with a hard drive installed (as is the case with our review model) or as an empty drive enclosure. The empty enclosure without a drive costs $29. This means you can simply purchase the empty enclosure and add your own hard drive; or you can buy a version with a drive already installed and replace it at any time. Drive replacement is easily done by removing three small screws that secure the perforated cover. A small piece of rubber secures the hard drive and cushions it from potential vibration and movement.
We appreciate the additional features of the attached USB cable and one-touch backup button, but overall the ISO GEAR 290 external hard drive doesn't provide the hard drive with enough protection. Unless you particularly like the design of this drive, and its ease of drive access, we would recommend something more rugged and affordable.
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the newsletter!
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
cloudandco Smart Cane
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Xbox One X
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Synology Introduces FlashStation FS1018 and DiskStation DS218
- CES 2018: Crucial launches next generation MX500 SSD
- QNAP Releases QTS 4.3.4. Beta for x86-Based NAS
- QNAP ships world’s first Ryzen NAS, promising boosted Virtual Machine performance
- QNAP Rolls out Quad-core 4-bay TS-453BT3 Thunderbolt 3 NAS Tailored for Creative Professionals
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- JBL Link 10 review: Full, in-depth review
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTNetwork ArchitectACT
- FTSoftware Implementation ConsultantOther
- FTFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCProject Administrator OR project coordinatorNSW
- CCNetwork Engineer (Juniper)VIC
- FTSenior Change Analyst - ERP implementationOther
- CCIteration Lead - Telco - Melbourne CBDVIC
- CCHogan Technical ConsultantQLD
- TPIntermediate Solution Architect - DataQLD
- CCSenior System EngineerNSW
- FTTechnical Support Rep - Maryborough QLDOther
- FTCCNA Network EngineerOther
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Project Manager - Financial ServicesQLD
- CCIT Service Desk Specialist - BrisbaneNSW
- CCSenior Project OfficerNSW
- FTIT Senior Business Analyst - Security / IDAMOther
- TPSenior Content DesignerNSW
- FTProgram Manager - Digital AND Agile essentialOther
- CCDevOps EngineerQLD
- TPProject OfficerNSW
- FTSenior Rail Project Manager, Fleet TransformationOther
- CCProcess Improvement and Change Specialist - TelcoVIC
- FTJunior Account Manager - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- FTAccount Commercial and Contract Manager (ANZ)VIC