Astone ISO GEAR 288 (500GB) 2.5in external hard drive
A very stylish and quick external hard drive
- Attractive design, fast
- Bottom casing is scratch-prone, no bundled software
We wouldn’t recommend Astone's portable hard drive for people who will be commuting with it every day, or for people who have a tendency to drop things. However, with a design to rival Apple products and quick file transfer speeds, it is a stylish way to carry around your data and media.
Considering Astone's motto — "Design for Life!" — it is no surprise that the ISO GEAR 288 external hard drive's prioritises style over durability. Thankfully, this hard drive is also quite fast. Though it won't survive a trip to the Sahara, it is a great companion in the classroom or art studio.
The Astone ISO GEAR 288 isn't the smallest external hard drive around, but it is certainly one of the slimmest; we're surprised Astone managed to fit the 500GB hard drive in there at all. The thin enclosure certainly adds to the hard drive's appeal and makes it a perfect fit for tight pockets. There is a single mini-USB 2.0 port on one side of the device.
Unfortunately, the ISO GEAR 288's brushed metal bottom casing is prone to scratching and alone fingerprints. Astone claims the metal helps dissipate heat from the hard drive inside, though you may end up with an enclosure that resembles a heavily used iPod Touch.
Astone includes a mini-USB to USB cable and a leather pouch in the ISO GEAR 288's sales package. It doesn’t come with any software, but we weren't disappointed; bundled drive utilities are usually little more than bloatware.
We transferred 20GB of 3-4GB files between the ISO GEAR 288 external hard drive and a Western Digital Velociraptor (WD3000GLFS), as well as 3GB of 1MB files. In the 20GB transfer test, the ISO GEAR 288 external hard drive achieved a write speed of 24.9 megabytes per second and a read speed of 28.7MBps, and it performed a simultaneous read/write operation at a rate of 11.9MBps. These speeds are nearly identical to the Transcend StoreJet 25M-R.
The Astone ISO GEAR 288 external hard drive fell behind the Transcend in the 3GB test, however. It had a write speed of 13.6MBps, a read speed of 20.7MBps and a simultaneous read/write speed of 9.5MBps. While these speeds are slightly slower than the Transcend drive's, the ISO GEAR 288 external hard drive is still fairly quick.
Its file transfer speeds and attractive enclosure make the Astone ISO GEAR 288 a great portable hard drive. Though it won't suit the road warrior, this hard drive is a decent choice for those who value style and performance over durability.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Acer Predator Triton 300 SE review: Affordable GeForce RTX performance in a slim package
- 2 Jackery Explorer 1000 Portable Power Station review: Good for venturing off the grid
- 3 Razer Naga Trinity review: The last best MMO gaming mouse
- 4 Dynabook Portégé X30W-J – a very good all-rounder
- 5 Google Pixel 5 Review: Soft Reboot
Latest News Articles
- Dropbox gives its Pro and Business users a bit of extra space to work with
- Seagate joins Bain bid to take control of Toshiba Memory
- Seagate and Baidu sign strategic cooperation agreement for big data analysis
- Western Digital Announces Acquisition of Upthere
- Western Digital to acquire Tegile
PCW Evaluation Team
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
- Razer just made gamer thimbles
- How to download proof of Covid-19 vaccination to your smartphone in Australia
- HTC Vive Pro 2 Full Kit is now available for pre-order in Australia
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies