- Cheap, Simple install
- Nothing of note
This board was stable during testing and surprisingly simple to install. If you're in the market for an affordable Socket-939 solution, this one is well worth considering.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
ASRock's products generally find a sweet spot between price and features and the 939SLI-ESATA2 is no exception, even though it does feature a lesser-known chipset. It's an AMD-based motherboard that uses a ULi chipset instead of an NVIDIA- or VIA-based chipset. ULi was recently acquired by NVIDIA and the particular chipset that this board uses - the ULi M1697 - is quite similar to NVIDIA's own nForce4: it is a single chip solution (it does not have a separate Southbridge and Northbridge). This chipset has support for PCI Express, Serial ATA II (SATA), RAID and 7.1 high-definition audio. The board that we looked at has two PCI Express slots that support SLI.
The ULi chipset is not the only interesting feature of this motherboard: it comes with eSATA and a "Future CPU Port". This port is located just above the first PCI Express slot and it will accommodate a riser card for an AMD AM2 slot, which will facilitate upgrades to the next generation 940-pin Athlon 64 chips. In the meantime, its 939-pin socket will support current Athlon 64, Athlon 64 X2 and Athlon 64 FX CPUs.
eSATA is a feature that allows you to plug in SATA drives externally of the PC case, as long as they are in a powered external SATA enclosure.
Setting up this board was a little tedious. We had to go into the BIOS and enable key settings that were disabled by default. Operating system installation on a 74GB Western Digital Raptor drive was smooth and testing with PC WorldBench 5 showed the board to be stable and quite zippy. Driver installation was almost stealth-like, as Windows XP found all necessary chipset drivers.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Logitech Unveils MX ERGO, their first trackball in nearly a decade
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
- MSI's new Ryzen-ready motherboard coming to Oz
- Seagate Expands Portfolio with 12TB Drives for NAS and Desktop Computing
- Intel's 8th Gen Desktop Processors Go On Sale Today
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTInformation Security ConsultantQLD
- FTProject ManagerQLD
- CCSenior RF Engineer - OptimisationVIC
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- FTProject Coordinator - PC DeploymentsOther
- FTManager, Platform Wealth OperationsOther
- CCBusiness Intelligence SpecialistNSW
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- FTProject ManagerACT
- CCBusiness Analyst / Advisor - Content & Collaboration - SharePointNSW
- CCWeb PublisherACT
- TPPHP DeveloperVIC
- FTBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTNetwork Security EngineerOther
- FTBackend Java DevelopersNSW
- FTProduct Support ManagerVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst | AO6 | Government ContractQLD
- FTSalesforce DeveloperVIC
- FTIT Support & System AdministratorNSW
- FTSnr Information Security Consultant - IT Services - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst (Infrastructure Projects)Other
- FTTableau DeveloperOther
- CCIntegration AnalystACT
- CCProject Manager - IDAMVIC