Ashampoo UnInstaller 4
Ashampoo UnInstaller does more than its name suggests
- Lots of extra features
- Hefty price tag
The price tag is hefty, but there are enough extra features to justify it. Included is a registry cleaner, hard drive cleaner, hard drive defragmenter, disk scrubber, and a whole slew of other utilities, all full-featured and functional in their own right. If you don't need any of these, perhaps a cheaper and simpler program is better.
Price$ 81.99 (AUD)
Getting rid of a program is rarely as simple as using the default uninstallation routine. Only the best written programs will leave no trace; most leave behind orphaned files and registry keys. While minor at first, this damage can build up--especially if you're the type to try out many programs. Ashampoo UnInstaller 4 ($82) ensures that when you uninstall a program, absolutely everything is removed. This suite goes beyond its eponymous function, offering a toolkit of extra utilities to help keep your computer running smoothly.
This utility suite is similar to Windows System Restore, but with greater flexibility. Ashampoo UnInstaller takes a snapshot of your hard drive and registry immediately before and after a program is installed. Then it compares them and creates a log which details every change made. So, if you later choose to remove a program, Ashampoo UnInstaller knows exactly how to reverse the changes it made. The automatic installation detector is a little flaky, so it's better to initiate the change tracking yourself. However, this nuisance is small compared to the rewards.
With Ashampoo UnInstaller watching, I installed programs that included some pretty nasty spyware. Usually to get rid of such a program it's necessary to go through multiple uninstallations, a spyware sweep, and sometimes even an antivirus scan. But Ashampoo UnInstaller worked very well, clearing out each program and its malicious junk with one simple routine. This isn't Ashampoo UnInstaller's primary use--and it's certainly no excuse to skip your usual antimalware regimen--but this extra wall of defense allows you to be slightly less paranoid about installing new software.
The price tag is hefty, but there are enough extra features to justify it. Included is a registry cleaner, hard drive cleaner, hard drive defragmenter, disk scrubber, and a whole slew of other utilities, all full-featured and functional in their own right. If you don't need any of these, perhaps a cheaper and simpler program is better. (And if you're a PC novice, you may want to avoid the registry cleaner entirely; excessive registry scrubbing can harm your system.) But Ashampoo UnInstaller 4 is a solid software suite which will keep your computer squeaky clean.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- Moto X4 review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPIntegration SpecialistQLD
- FTChange ManagerOther
- FTEnterprise Architect - Permanent OpportunityQLD
- FTSAP HR Team LeadOther
- FTOperations Orchestration SpecialistOther
- CCSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Multiple RolesACT
- CCSAP FICO ConsultantQLD
- CCSCOM SpecialistQLD
- TPProject OfficerQLD
- CCMigration EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness/System Analyst- (Human Capital Management (HCM) )NSW
- FTCitrix Administrator/ EngineerOther
- TPSoftware Implementation Project Manager.NSW
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCSAP HR / Payroll AnalystVIC
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTSenior Wintel Engineer, VMware, DesignOther
- FTApplication Migration EngineerOther
- CCOracle Identity & Access Management AdministratorNSW
- CCSenior .Net DeveloperVIC
- FTProject Manager - Distribution and Warehouse SolutionsOther
- FTURGENT - Contract opportunity Business Analyst - Finance - Immediate startVIC
- FTIteration Manager / Scrum Master - DigitalOther
- CCDigital Reporting AnalystNSW