Artlandia SymmetryShop 2
- Flexible tools to create patterns; Smart Object support boosts options
- Pricey; steep learning curve
If you create enough patterns to make the price and time taken to learn the toolset worthwhile, then SymmetryShop is an excellent tool.
Price$ 295.00 (AUD)
SymmetryShop is a plug-in for creating patterns in Photoshop, based on the popular SymmetryWorks 2 plug-in for Illustrator. It's a niche tool and seems pricey -- but if you regularly create patterns for textiles or fashion, it can make a huge difference to your work.
The first version took a lot of time to master, partly because a deep understanding of how pattern aesthetics is necessary -- though this is true whether you're creating patterns with a plug-in or by hand. It was also due to a slightly tricky interface, which hasn't changed.
Version 2 adds function largely based on the Smart Object feature introduced in Photoshop CS2 -- so you'll need that version to access these. By combining layers into a single Smart Object, you can create patterns in SymmetryShop 2 from multiple layers/images -- such as from the flower image and grass brush stroke (as seen in one of the images above).
Building patterns this way gives you a lot more flexibility over how two or more elements combine in a pattern, compared with having to merge layers as you did in version 1.
By using Smart Objects, you can go back and alter the original elements (or 'seeds') without having to apply settings all over again. You can also combine symmetry types to create interesting patterns.
Other welcome additions include support for editable text and vector layers -- again making altering designs easier and quicker.
Installation is fiddly -- you have to manually copy files to your plug-in folder and it crashed a few times during setup. We also saw a few crashes in use.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
- Dragon Gets NDIS Approval
- NAB go in on Google Assistant integration with new app
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- iPhone 8
- Canon 6D MK II: Full, in-depth review
- Panasonic’s EX600U UHD HDR TV + HTB688 soundbar:
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTLead PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Change AnalystVIC
- CCProject Support AnalystVIC
- TPSoftware Implementation Project Manager.NSW
- CCTechnologyOne Systems AdministratorQLD
- CCEnterprise Architect / Network & InfrastructureNSW
- CCEnterprise Architect ? Network & InfrastructureNSW
- CCMiddleware SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Systems Engineer, Wintel, VMWareOther
- CCWintel Engineer - BrisbaneVIC
- FTSenior Software EngineerNSW
- FTDigital Copywriter/ Content ProducerOther
- CCMessageQueue/DataPower AdministratorACT
- FTTest Lead - Automation (energy and metering sector)Other
- FTBusiness Project ManagerOther
- FTInfrastructure Project ManagerOther
- CCSharepoint DeveloperWA
- FTDevOps ConsultantVIC
- CCDigital Reporting AnalystNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - Multiple RolesACT
- CCService Desk AnalystACT
- FT.Net - Sitecore DeveloperQLD
- CCInfrastructure Solution ArchitectNSW
- TPTechnical Business AnalystQLD