Artlandia SymmetryShop 2
- Flexible tools to create patterns; Smart Object support boosts options
- Pricey; steep learning curve
If you create enough patterns to make the price and time taken to learn the toolset worthwhile, then SymmetryShop is an excellent tool.
Price$ 295.00 (AUD)
SymmetryShop is a plug-in for creating patterns in Photoshop, based on the popular SymmetryWorks 2 plug-in for Illustrator. It's a niche tool and seems pricey -- but if you regularly create patterns for textiles or fashion, it can make a huge difference to your work.
The first version took a lot of time to master, partly because a deep understanding of how pattern aesthetics is necessary -- though this is true whether you're creating patterns with a plug-in or by hand. It was also due to a slightly tricky interface, which hasn't changed.
Version 2 adds function largely based on the Smart Object feature introduced in Photoshop CS2 -- so you'll need that version to access these. By combining layers into a single Smart Object, you can create patterns in SymmetryShop 2 from multiple layers/images -- such as from the flower image and grass brush stroke (as seen in one of the images above).
Building patterns this way gives you a lot more flexibility over how two or more elements combine in a pattern, compared with having to merge layers as you did in version 1.
By using Smart Objects, you can go back and alter the original elements (or 'seeds') without having to apply settings all over again. You can also combine symmetry types to create interesting patterns.
Other welcome additions include support for editable text and vector layers -- again making altering designs easier and quicker.
Installation is fiddly -- you have to manually copy files to your plug-in folder and it crashed a few times during setup. We also saw a few crashes in use.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Is My Smart Speaker Always Listening?
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTDigital Technical LeadQLD
- FTBusiness / Data AnalystOther
- FTProgram Manager - SAP Asset ManagementOther
- FTSCRUM MasterOther
- FTCyber Security AnalystOther
- TPSystems Administrator (ServiceNow)QLD
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - TelcoVIC
- FTService Desk Engineer/IT Help desk SupportVIC
- FTSCRUM MasterOther
- CCPortfolio Coordinator / Administrator - BrisbaneNSW
- FTCyber Security ArchitectOther
- FTSenior Analyst, Portfolio Management & GovernanceOther
- FTNetwork Engineer (RUN-BAU)VIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Financial MarketsVIC
- CCMaximo DeveloperNSW
- TPSnr SQL DBAQLD
- CCInfrastructure Architect - IT ArchitectVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCSCCM SupportACT
- FTCommunications ManagerOther
- CCMid-level Architect/Technical Lead ( Java/J2EE)QLD
- FTBusiness Analyst - Supply ChainOther
- CCSenior Storage AdministratorACT
- TPSenior Project Manager - Lotus Notes to O365VIC
- FTOnsite Support Engineer (sys admin)Other