Armaggeddon Stealth Raptor MKA-7 gaming keyboard
A tough mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX keys
- Cherry MX mechanical keys
- Sturdy and robust keyboard design
- Flimsy sound and illuminations buttons and dial
- No dedicated macro keys
The Armaggeddon Stealth Raptor MKA-7 is a solid, no nonsense mechanic keyboard that’s well suited for gaming. However, you’ll have to decide whether the conservative design is a match for your gaming habits.
Price$ 219.00 (AUD)
Armaggeddon [sic] is not a brand that is too well known within the gaming community, but it’s one that is pushing hard into the market. Established in late 2011 in Singapore, Armaggeddon has already introduced several PC gaming peripherals in the space, such as keyboards, mice and headsets, with many more products joining the line-up over the time. The Stealth Raptor MKA-7 is the latest addition to the vendor’s keyboard line-up, and it features high quality Cherry MX mechanical keys.
Under the radar
The Stealth Raptor MKA-7 comes with the option of different Cherry MX keys, but we chose to review the blue switch edition. The characteristics of this key switch are that it’s light and responsive, yet it also has a ‘clicky’ sound and feel to it. During use, this translates to a tactile bump when pressed, and a click sound during contact with the key’s activation point. For those that want a different feel, Armaggeddon also offers brown, black and red switches.
The keyboard itself has a conventional design with a black exterior. The Stealth Raptor MKA-7 is designed to be a heavy-duty keyboard that will withstand punishment, so it’s quite weighty, with a solid feel to the keys and the base. The keys are matte black, so fingerprints don’t show up as they would on a smoother key surface. All of the keys are illuminated with a blue LED, while the WASD and directional keys have a white LED. There is a wrist rest at the bottom of the keyboard, but it’s neither removable nor very long, so if you have larger hands you may need to take this into account.
Functionality over macros
Connectivity comes in the form of a combined USB cable with 3.5mm audio jacks (so you can pass your audio cables through the keyboard, too). The cable has normal plastic insulation and is not braided, which certain premium keyboards sometime adopt for durability. The USB and audio plugs are placed on the side of the keyboard, along with the buttons and dial used to control the audio level and key illumination. While the buttons and dial are well placed, they feel a bit loose and flimsy when pressed, which clashes somewhat with the overall premium and responsive feel of the Stealth Raptor MKA-7.
The Stealth Raptor MKA-7 comes with six macro keys. Instead of including dedicated keys for macros, Armaggeddon has instead assigned the functionality to the block of six keys above the directional keys (from Insert to Page Down), which are activated with the function key. On the positive side, the placement of the six keys is convenient enough where they can be easily reached when using the directional keys. However, those who want dedicated programmable keys located somewhere else on the keyboard will likely want a more comprehensive keyboard setup.
Back to basics
The Cherry MX keys on the Stealth Raptor MKA-7 were comfortable to use during testing with Company of Heroes 2 and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, which make use of the hotkeys and WASD keys respectively. However, the lack of programmable keys on the keyboard itself meant that we mostly overlooked the macro feature that the Stealth Raptor MKA-7 offers.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Some Radeon RX Vega graphics cards will be faster than the Frontier Edition
- Nvidia quietly launches the GeForce GT 1030, a Radeon RX 550 rival with a modest price
- AMD's first Radeon Vega graphics card isn't for you, and gamers may be waiting a while
- AMD's Ryzen Mobile chips are ready for liftoff, with the new Ryzen Pro not far behind
- It's official: AMD's Threadripper will bring a 16-core, 32-thread monster to the desktop
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTBI and Report DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCProject Manager - Salesforce ImplementationVIC
- FTSystem Analyst - IntegrationQLD
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectNSW
- TPSenior Test AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTNode.js DeveloperSA
- FTManaging Architect - Satellite spaceVIC
- FTProgram SchedulerVIC
- FTDelivery CoordinatorSA
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - TelcoVIC
- FTDatabase Engineer (Oracle)ACT
- TPInstructional DesignerVIC
- CCBusiness SpecialistVIC
- FTBI Developer (SQL Server Reporting Services)SA
- FT.net Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- CCProcess Improvement Manager (Black Belt)NSW
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTIntegration SpecialistQLD
- CCSenior Systems EngineerQLD
- CCProject Manager Information ManagementQLD
- FTScrum Master - TechnicalNSW
- FTProject Control Analyst - PMOACT