Review: Arcam MusicBoost for iPhone 6 and 6S
This battery case boosts your battery and enhances audio
- Sounds great
- Good battery enhancement
- Well built
- Badly muffles the mic on phone calls
- Non-replaceable battery
The MusicBoost feels good and only slightly boosts the size of an iPhone 6. But while the battery and audio enhancements work well, muffling the mic is a design flaw.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
The MusicBoost case feels sturdy and easily slips on to an iPhone 6 or 6S. As with many other iPhone cases, no additional protection is offered to the screen. The addition of the case essentially pushes a 6S to the size of a 6S Plus.
The battery pack offers a 120% boost to the existing iPhone battery which it continually recharges as it goes. There’s a useful battery indicator to see what level it’s at too: you press a button and up to four LEDs light up.
But the main benefit of the MusicBoost s the Burr-Brown Digital-to-Analog-Converter (DAC). This is essentially an enhanced amplifier which makes music from the iPhone sound better – instead of using the iPhone’s built-in headphone jack, audio passes through the digital Lightening connector at the bottom of the iPhone and through the MusicBoost’s analog headphone port instead – and the difference is a noticeable improvement all round. Music sounds richer and fuller, even on the bundled, mediocre headphones that come with the iPhones.
So to this end, the MusicBoost does what it says on the tin. But it’s far from a qualified success. When the cover was on, ALL of the people we spoke to on the phone complained that our voice was too distant and quiet. This was whether music was playing or not.
As such, impinging on one of the prime functions of the phone knocks the overall score considerably. However, if you’re more interested by the music output enhancement then the high $299 RRP might seem cheap - although there are plenty of other DACs on the market that cost less and don't have a battery-extender included. For many other people the price will be too high for such a design critical flaw.
- Review: Tudia Klip seeks to prolong the life of iPhone and iPad charging cables
- Smartphone uptake passes its peak as industry appetite wanes
- Apple starts test run of Safari 10
- The classic 'Slide to Unlock' iPhone gesture is gone from iOS 10
- watchOS 3 is Apple's most crowdsourced product ever
- Bose QuietComfort 35 wireless headphones review: Active noise cancellation with no strings attached
- Review: Incipio OtterBox and 3Sixt cases for the Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge
- Review: Wireless charging and waterproof cases for iPhone plus Ollclip (Movie) Studio case
- A technologically-flippant woman’s guide to technology. Part One
- iOS 10 on the iPad Pro: The 8 features you need to know
- HoudahGeo 5 review: Now every DSLR photo can include geotags
- Review: Surprise! The Oppo PM-2 planar magnetic headphones are some of the best you can buy
- Review: The best gaming headsets of the year
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 2 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 4 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 5 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
Latest News Articles
- Verizon is selling a Miracast dongle for $20
- EVE Valkyrie's Warzone update brings CCP's VR dogfighter to normal monitors
- PCWorld's August Digital Magazine: Intel's Core-i9 Tested
- Google Home hands-free calling is here, but doesn't yet have caller ID
- Aukey's dual-port car charger with Quick Charge 3.0 is $9 right now
PCW Evaluation Team
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
- Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- GAMOSPHERE: Your August Roundup of Gaming News
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBusiness Development ManagerOther
- FTAccount Manager (Healthcare & Aged Care)Other
- FTApplication Developer (.Net)Other
- TPProgram CoordinatorVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- CCWintel Engineer - BrisbaneVIC
- CCSenior IT Project ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Data AnalystACT
- CCAutomation Testing ConsultantNSW
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsACT
- FTIT Security Technical Business AnalystOther
- TPSenior Change Analyst - Sponsor Coaching/Advising**NSW
- CCReporting ArchitectVIC
- CCApplication Architect - CloudVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - SCRUM MasterOther
- CCTest LeadQLD
- FTDigital Marketing ExecutiveOther
- FTData Analyst - MSSQLOther
- FTDesktop Support EngineerVIC
- CCSAP Fiori Functional ConsultantQLD
- CCProgram ManagerNSW
- FTSystems TrainerACT
- CCSenior Infrastructure EngineerNSW
- FTLevel 2 Service DeskOther
- CCInnovation Event & Portfolio SupportNSW