Football Soccer Worldcup Penalties for iPhone
Kick off World Cup fever by taking on the world's best with this penalty shoot-out game
- Clean main menu interface
- Repetitive, lacklustre, poor accuracy on controls, strange team selections, only basic game modes
We're all for World Cup games on the iPhone, but it's very clear you should give this one a miss. A strange selection of teams, repetitive gameplay and a lack of game modes make this a mediocre game at best. Best avoided.
Price$ 1.19 (AUD)
The FIFA World Cup is less than 100 days away from kick-off and there are a number of iPhone apps to help pass the time as anticipation mounts. Football Soccer Worldcup Penalties for iPhone from Appontology aims to please world game lovers in the form of a penalty shootout game. However it lacks of variety and depth and includes some strange team selections. And that name is just terrible.
At $1.19, Football Soccer Worldcup Penalties is one of the cheapest apps available for the iPhone. First impressions are positive, as the game has a clean and attractive menu interface. You can choose between practice, one player and two player modes, while the career menu displays your overall stats including wins, losses and the number of games played. Scrolling up and down to choose your team is a little oversensitive and we often missed the one we were intending to select.
The game includes 32 teams but not all of the World Cup teams are represented — the likes of Peru, Belgium, Canada, Colombia and India are strange selections, with none competing in the 2010 World Cup. Meanwhile Uruguay, New Zealand, Slovenia and Slovakia, who have all booked plane tickets to South Africa in June, have been left out. The United Kingdom is also a strange inclusion, as England, Scotland and Wales all compete as separate nations under FIFA. Can someone please tell Appontology this isn't the Olympics?
Unfortunately, the game doesn't get much better from here, with no official player names and a basic, boring and extremely repetitive game style. To score a penalty, you flick your finger in the direction you want to shoot, and you use the same method when controlling the goalkeeper to make a save. You can also choose a simpler tap method, but the accuracy using either method isn't great. The commentary is also repetitive, with only two variations of "goooaallll" and the same crowd noise in the background. We think simple games are always best on the iPhone, but this game is just too simple — we were bored after just three penalty kicks.
Aside from single matches and a practice mode (which lets you hone your "skills" hitting targets in the goal), there are no other game modes. At the very least, we were expecting a tournament style, knock-out system, much like the World Cup.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Hands-on: Middle Earth: Shadow of War gets more creative with Tolkien's universe
- Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire shows off old friends and a mysterious new world
- E3 2017 day 2 wrap-up: Destiny 2 on PC, Wolfenstein returns, and Ubisoft games galore
- Xbox One X vs PlayStation 4 Pro: The console wars level up with powerful new hardware
- E3 2017 day one wrap-up: Call of Duty WWII, Intel's wireless VR, and crushing crowds
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCFront End Developer - BrisbaneNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTDesktop EngineerOther
- FTService Desk AnalystACT
- FTApplication Support AnalystOther
- TPSenior .NET AWS DeveloperNSW
- FTJunior .Net C# DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTTech Lead - FinTech - Product DevelopmentOther
- FTSenior Strategic Business Analyst - Modernisation ProgramNSW
- FTDigital BA | App Dev Environment | 6 month contract roleOther
- FTSenior Developer / Architect - PermanentWA
- CCSenior Internal Security Consultant - TelcoVIC
- FTSolution Architect - SecurityVIC
- TPTest AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Recruitment Specialist |Other
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperOther
- FTFinance and PeopleSoft Project ManagerOther
- FTApplication Tester & Quality Assurance AnalystOther
- FTSenior SharePoint Administrator. Location -ACTACT
- FTProject Implementation ManagerOther
- FTMaster SchedulerACT
- FTSenior Program AnalystOther
- FTHFC Network Modeller | 6mth ContractOther