Apple LED Cinema Display
Apple's first desktop display boasts great styling and some innovative functions.
- Great styling
- Output is very poor indeed by professional design standards
Even if you own a new MacBook Pro and you’ve got around $1500 to spend on an LED monitor, we can't recommend this disappointing display. The Apple LED Cinema Display looks great, and provides power to Mac laptops, but it suffers from output quality and works only with the very latest Mac laptops.
Price$ 1,499.00 (AUD)
Following the addition of well-received LED screens to its laptops, Apple's first desktop display — the Apple LED Cinema Display — boasts great styling (as you'd expect) and some innovative functions.
However, the Apple LED Cinema Display is wholly unsuited to the needs of creative professionals.
The 24in Apple LED Cinema Display isn't a replacement for the now-defunct 23in Cinema Display. It's aimed purely at owners of Apple's latest MacBook, MacBook Air or MacBook Pro laptops (including the just announced 17-inch model), as its only input is a Mini DisplayPort.
Owners of other laptops (including older Mac laptops) are left out, as are those working on desktops. We're not against the principle of a monitor purely for laptop owners — but limiting the Apple LED Cinema Display's use to three models seems pointless.
It's not even as if Apple is taking advantage of DisplayPort's capability to output 10-bit per colour video.
The odd thing about Apple's use of DisplayPort is that the Apple LED Cinema Display's output is very poor indeed by professional design standards. The glossy display might make Hollywood movies look great in dimmed lights, but for creative work — whether print, video, animation or interactive — it just provides annoying glare.
We measured the colour gamut using the same process as the monitors in our recent group test of pro-level monitors, and found the Apple LED Cinema Display to have a far smaller gamut than any other LED monitor we've looked at. It would be unimpressive on an inexpensive LCD display too. Colour depth and accuracy were also mediocre.
One nifty feature aimed at Mac laptops users is the inclusion in the Apple LED Cinema Display of a MagSafe connector (as Apple's calls its innovative magnetic power cable that's designed to stop you kicking your laptop onto the floor if you catch your foot on the lead), so you can leave your power cable in your bag.
This would be great for owners of older Mac laptops too, if the choice of connector didn't prevent you from using the Apple LED Cinema Display with them.
Join the newsletter!
cloudandco Smart Cane
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Toys for Boys
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Xbox One X
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Fallout Geeki Tikis
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- CES 2018: Everything Announced By ASUS
- BenQ Celebrates Modern Sleekness with Newest Monitors for Home and Office
- AOC Unveils AG322QCX AGON Gaming Display Bolstered for Battle
- Samsung announces Australian availability for its 49-inch CHG90 QLED Monitor
- BenQ Announces the EW3270ZL Eye Care Monitor with Immaculate Colour Reproduction
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- JBL Link 10 review: Full, in-depth review
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPSenior Applications Project ManagerACT
- FTSenior Consultant - .NET DeveloperQLD
- FTNetwork Engineering Team Lead/Network ManagerACT
- CCDevops Analyst - Automation experienceVIC
- TPSenior Business Analyst x 2 - ServiceNowQLD
- FTSoftwares Support AnalystOther
- CCNetwork Surveyor - TelcoVIC
- CCSQL / .Net Developers (1 Snr & 2 Mid Level)WA
- FTJava DevelopersVIC
- FTSenior Scrum MasterOther
- FTPortfolio & Governance Senior AnalystVIC
- FTLead Business AnalystOther
- FTSenior Front End Developer - ReactQLD
- CCThe job "Automation Test Analyst Guidewire " is now ExpiredQLD
- FTBusiness ConsultantOther
- FTBig Data ArchitectOther
- CCSix Sigma Process Improvement Consultant (Black Belt) - Sydney - TelcoNSW
- CCSenior Change ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Functional AnalystOther
- FTNetwork Technical Specialist L3 x 2 ? Large Telco ? 6 month contract initiallyNSW
- FTMaster SchedulerOther
- FTConsulting Project Manager (Agile)ACT
- FTPHP DeveloperOther
- TPProgram Delivery Manager - Health LISQLD
- FTAndroid DeveloperQLD