So you can enjoy the sunshine while listening to your favourite music or podcast. Thanks to Sennheiser. Enter today.
Apple iTunes TV
By an episode, or a complete season
- Ability to order a whole 'season' is handy, quality is okay
- There are free alternatives
It works with Apple's customary ease of use, the quality is good and the selection of programmes extensive, but we're not convinced of the economics of paying nearly $2.99 an episode, when there are free alternatives.
Leaving aside all the music you can buy from the iTunes Store, an increasing amount of TV content can be accessed from this entertainment portal.
Techworld: How to get free iTunes music
In order to start enjoying it, you need to set up an iTunes account and then log in.
You also need to download and install the latest version of QuickTime — currently that's version 7.0. We found the store had problems finding our iTunes setup, and we had to download it again before we started.
Once you're up and running, however, it's simple to navigate iTunes' TV library and acquire content. Your iTunes library syncs with the online store in the usual manner and imports your purchases directly.
You can get an idea of the content to be found on the iTunes TV player by consulting the top 10 charts at the lower right of the iTunes home page. When we tried it out, an episode of the sci-fi series 'Heroes' was the top pick, while instalments of 'Lost' and 'Grey's Anatomy' dominated the rest of the top 10.
This US bias surprised us, given the availability of British podcasts on iTunes, but the fact that Apple charges £1.89 per episode ($2.99 for Australian users) may simply mean that British consumers are finding episodes of homegrown television programs elsewhere — probably for free. After all, broadcasters such as Dave seem to run many of the most popular programmes on near constant repeat on Freeview.
There are certain things about the iTunes TV store that impressed us. The descriptions of the episodes that help you ensure you buy the one you want and the ability to order a whole 'season' (also known as a series) at once are very handy.
'Lost' Series 4 came in at £24 complete, which is competitive with what you'd pay for the DVD boxset. So if you want to buy in this fashion, there's a certain attraction to the setup. We just couldn't persuade ourselves to fork out nearly £2 a pop on an episode-by-episode basis.
Of course, one of the key functions of the iTunes TV library is hooking up with the AppleTV box and streaming programmes for playback on an actual television. But our initial tests with this scenario weren't good. Having retested the arrangement for this feature, we still aren't sold on it.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sonos Arc review: The Main Event
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Z Flip review: Killer form-factor, lethal price-tag
- 3 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 4 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 5 Xiro Drone Xplorer V by Rapoo review
Latest News Articles
- Google smart displays now let you take charge of multi-room audio
- Recently squashed Alexa bug could have allowed hackers access to voice histories, researchers say
- Affinity offers Photo, Designer & Publisher for Free for 3 Months
- Parallels 15 lets you turn an iPad into a Surface tablet
- Bitdefender refreshes consumer cybersecurity offering
PCW Evaluation Team
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
I highly recommend the Dynabook Portégé® X30L-G notebook for everyday business use, it is a benchmark setting notebook of its generation in the lightweight category.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
- Sonos Arc review: The Main Event
- Soundbars: Why they’re worth it and which one should you buy
- Buying a laptop this EOFY? Here's a cheat sheet
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies