Apple iTunes TV
By an episode, or a complete season
- Ability to order a whole 'season' is handy, quality is okay
- There are free alternatives
It works with Apple's customary ease of use, the quality is good and the selection of programmes extensive, but we're not convinced of the economics of paying nearly $2.99 an episode, when there are free alternatives.
Leaving aside all the music you can buy from the iTunes Store, an increasing amount of TV content can be accessed from this entertainment portal.
Techworld: How to get free iTunes music
In order to start enjoying it, you need to set up an iTunes account and then log in.
You also need to download and install the latest version of QuickTime — currently that's version 7.0. We found the store had problems finding our iTunes setup, and we had to download it again before we started.
Once you're up and running, however, it's simple to navigate iTunes' TV library and acquire content. Your iTunes library syncs with the online store in the usual manner and imports your purchases directly.
You can get an idea of the content to be found on the iTunes TV player by consulting the top 10 charts at the lower right of the iTunes home page. When we tried it out, an episode of the sci-fi series 'Heroes' was the top pick, while instalments of 'Lost' and 'Grey's Anatomy' dominated the rest of the top 10.
This US bias surprised us, given the availability of British podcasts on iTunes, but the fact that Apple charges £1.89 per episode ($2.99 for Australian users) may simply mean that British consumers are finding episodes of homegrown television programs elsewhere — probably for free. After all, broadcasters such as Dave seem to run many of the most popular programmes on near constant repeat on Freeview.
There are certain things about the iTunes TV store that impressed us. The descriptions of the episodes that help you ensure you buy the one you want and the ability to order a whole 'season' (also known as a series) at once are very handy.
'Lost' Series 4 came in at £24 complete, which is competitive with what you'd pay for the DVD boxset. So if you want to buy in this fashion, there's a certain attraction to the setup. We just couldn't persuade ourselves to fork out nearly £2 a pop on an episode-by-episode basis.
Of course, one of the key functions of the iTunes TV library is hooking up with the AppleTV box and streaming programmes for playback on an actual television. But our initial tests with this scenario weren't good. Having retested the arrangement for this feature, we still aren't sold on it.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Trend Micro Strengthens its Security Offerings in Trend Micro Security
- Billions of devices at risk as Bluetooth-bourne vulnerability exposed
- Here's the Apple macOS High Sierra release date
- Adobe and Microsoft expand productivity partnership
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCSenior Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- CCLevel 2-3 Desktop SupportWA
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Office 365 ProjectOther
- FTSenior Agile Digital Business Analyst - Immediate StartOther
- TPSolution Architect - Networks & SecurityQLD
- FTFront End Developer with UX designOther
- FTGraduate Inside Sales Consultant - SMSF SolutionsOther
- CCProject Coordinator - PMO / Telco Exp - 6 mth contract - Nth SydneyNSW
- CCNetwork Automation EngineerVIC
- TPBusiness Intelligence ManagerNSW
- FTProject Deployment EngineerQLD
- FTBusiness Development Manager - ERP SystemsNSW
- CCNon-Functional Test ConsultantNSW
- CCSenior Security AnalystQLD
- FTDesktop EngineerOther
- TPSenior Full-Stack DeveloperSA
- CCMiddleware SpecialistNSW
- FTGun Java Developers wantedVIC
- FTIT TechnicianOther
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectVIC
- FTFront End UI Web DeveloperOther
- CCAutomation TesterQLD
- CCeLearning DeveloperACT