Apple iPod shuffle (1st Generation)
- Great sound quality, small and lightweight
- Lack of features, no screen, a little fragile
The iPod Shuffle is designed to be minimalist. Its appeal lies in not having to worry about always fiddling with it, and letting it 'take control'. If you prefer to be able to choose what you're listening to, and how it sounds, you would be better served by a different product.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
Apple's new flash memory-based iPod Shuffle really doesn't live up to the reputation forged by its stablemates.
Like most Apple products, the Shuffle is very easy to use. Just plug it directly into a computer's USB port and load music via the iTunes program supplied with the package.
In terms of sound quality, the Shuffle one of the best flash-based players we've yet heard. The player, in conjunction with Apple's signature headphones, produces a clean, nicely balanced sound. It rather lacks depth, but it's perfect for sitting on the bus or taking a walk--the sorts of situations for which it is designed--and, being the size of a packet of chewing gum, it is incredibly light and portable.
However, we found the Shuffle's lack of features a real annoyance. The player has no display at all. Users can control the volume, shuttle forward, rewind and pause, and there's an option to play the songs in order or randomly. That's it.
Apple has attempted to turn this shortage of features into a selling point, and it's true that you can still listen to a cassette, for example, without a display of which track is playing. But then, a chimney can still be cleaned by pushing an eight-year-old up it with a brush; but there are now better ways of doing things.
The Shuffle is flimsy, too. While the iPod Mini has a comforting solidity about it, the Shuffle is just too plasticy to inspire much confidence: heaven help anyone who sits on it (not to mention the Shuffle itself!)
So for those seeking a highly portable player with good sound, the Shuffle could fit the bill, but anyone wanting to do more than just play "guess that tune" while waiting in a traffic jam may wish to look elsewhere.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Apple TV 4K review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCDevOps Automation SME - Telco ClientVIC
- FTProgram Manager - Technology & EngineeringOther
- FTPMO Project Coordinator, Multiple projectsOther
- CCBusiness Analysts - agileACT
- FTService Desk Analyst - L1Other
- FTNetwork ArchitectNSW
- FTPerformance EngineerOther
- FTWeb Developer / ProducerOther
- CCCloud Test EngineerNSW
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)Other
- TPTechnical Lead (Office 365)QLD
- FTSplunk EngineerACT
- CCIntel IT ArchitectNSW
- CCIT Senior Business AnalystNSW
- CCLean Six Sigma Process Improvement Specialist - MELBOURNEQLD
- CCSenior Project manager - Telecom IndustryVIC
- FTSoftware DeveloperOther
- FTJunior-Mid Level Java DeveloperQLD
- FTAccount Management/Customer Service - MULTIPLE ROLESSA
- TPSenior Business Analyst - ASAP StartQLD
- FTData AnalystOther
- FTManager, PortfolioOther
- CCDevOps Engineer - AWS, Jenkins, GitVIC
- TPBusiness Continuity Senior Associate/ IT AuditNSW
- FTICT Cloud Transformation Program Coordinator - SAPOther