Apple iPod mini
- Extra capacity over earlier model, easy song navigation
- Lacks microphone, imprecise power gauge
Slick looks coupled with improved battery life and the iPod's signature ease of use make this player an excellent bet; but beware of add-on costs for such basics as the FireWire cable.
Price$ 359.00 (AUD)
With its streamlined, colourful design and easy-to-use click wheel, Apple's original iPod mini established itself as a head turner. The second-generation, 6GB mini upholds the tradition--except this time, you'll be wowed not just by the mini's looks, but by its exceptional battery life.
In our hands-on tests, we found that the iPod mini could operate for about 23.5 hours of continuous play after a battery charge. That's nearly twice the playing time we got from the first-generation mini. As with other iPods, the battery remains securely locked inside the device. Apple will replace the battery at no charge if it fails while under warranty; otherwise, a new one will cost you.
The new model bumps up its storage space from 4GB to 6GB. Apple reports that you can pack about 1500 songs (in 128Kbps AAC format) onto the 6GB device; that's enough space to hold dozens of music albums but not enough to accommodate a truly gargantuan CD collection.
You have a choice of four colours (blue, pink, green or silver), and the colors are bolder and richer than before. The mini's dimensions remain the same, and it still weighs 102 grams. Likewise, the mini's monochrome screen, intuitive click-wheel navigation system, and famously seamless integration with Apple's iTunes software haven't changed.
We found the mini exceptionally easy to use. Though we missed the menu customisation and context-specific navigation that the products like the Creative Zen Micro offer, we found a lot to like about the mini's organisation. In particular we appreciated the precision of the mini's click wheel, which made navigating by touch easier than on the Micro.
This version of the mini comes with only a belt clip, earbud earphones and a USB 2.0 cable. You can connect and recharge the mini's battery via the USB cable.
Like competing players, the mini has a host of other useful features and capabilities, including an alarm clock and timer, games, a contact manager and a datebook. Regrettably, it lacks a built-in microphone, which would be convenient for taking memos or making impromptu recordings on the go. (The optional Griffin Technology voice recorder designed as an add-on for other iPods does not work with the mini.)
Our biggest problem with the mini was its imprecise power gauge. The mini played trouble-free for several hours on "empty", for example. We'd have liked a more accurate predictor of when the unit was on the verge of conking out.
Join the newsletter!
cloudandco Smart Cane
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Apple iPhone X
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Toys for Boys
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Bose SoundLink Micro
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Xbox One X
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 2 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 3 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 4 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- If you bought a OnePlus 5T, your credit card info may have been stolen
- Microsoft Surface Precision Mouse review: A flagship mouse worthy of the Surface name
- Rumu review: Rebel without a cord
- Overwatch League draws millions of eyes in first week
- How Australian retailers can drive customers to Amazon
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- CES 2018: Belkin go big on wearables accessories and wireless charging
- OPPO Load Up A73 Smartphone With Flagship Features
- CES 2018
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTPortfolio & Governance Senior AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Infrastructure Project ManagerOther
- CCSQL / .Net Developers (1 Snr & 2 Mid Level)WA
- FTPega DeveloperACT
- FTWindows Messaging and MS Exchange LeadOther
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectOther
- CC.Net DevelopersACT
- FTDevOps ManagerOther
- TPSecurity ConsultantNSW
- CCIncident/Service ManagerNSW
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTChange ManagerOther
- TPSenior Applications Project ManagerACT
- FTDigital DesignerOther
- CCSenior DevOps ManagerVIC
- FTBusiness Analysts - apps developmentACT
- FTMid / Senior Level Functional Banking ConsultantsOther
- FTLead Developer - AndroidNSW
- FTiOS DeveloperOther
- FTDigital Producer | High Profile Website | 6 Month ContractOther
- FTProgram CoordinatorOther
- FTService Desk Operators (Part Time and Full Time)SA
- CCReporting AnalystNSW
- FTSIEM EngineerNSW